Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Server 2008 R2 SP1 Hyper-V

Hello ,

I have doing some reading on the release of Microsoft Server 2008 R2 Hyper-V SP1 and the benefits it has to offer, And it will be great help if somone can help me find the answers to the questions i have.

1.What happens when the host is fully utilised for RAM, after dymamic memory has kicked in. spawning off another machine trigger hyper-v to release some dynamic memory from a running host to make space?

2. Is there any further change in the number of virtual processors supported in in SP1 , Currently i understand am max of 4

3.Live Migration - Does it Migrate based on current utilisation , or the reserve amount.

4.Has support for opensource platforms been extended beyond RedHat and SUSE in SP1.?

5.Whats Guest operating software are supported by hot add storage , surely not all operating systems will handle hott add storage?

6.Same as above question , what guest operating system can handle Dynamic Memory.?

7.Does Live Migration requires a cluster configuration with Cluster Shared Volume enabled

Re: Microsoft Server 2008 R2 SP1 Hyper-V

Not really appropriate for Coffee Loung so moved to HyperV forum
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by KSeeker View Post

3.Live Migration - Does it Migrate based on current utilisation , or the reserve amount.
      You need System Center Virtual Machine Manager and Operations Manager. Based trigger in ops manager, scvmm can move a machine

5.Whats Guest operating software are supported by hot add storage , surely not all operating systems will handle hott add storage?
      If your vm supports SCSI and hot add disks to SCSI

7.Does Live Migration requires a cluster configuration with Cluster Shared Volume enabled
      A normal NTFS cluster volume will also function, but CSV is prefered.
      gerth

MCITP sa, ea & va, [email protected]

Comment

I just came back today from Tech-Ed 2010 in Eilat, Israel and some of the presentations I attended were dealing with some of the questions you pose here.
        I'll try to answer each of them:
        1.What happens when the host is fully utilised for RAM, after dymamic memory has kicked in. spawning off another machine trigger hyper-v to release some dynamic memory from a running host to make space?
        Depend on what is the situation on your virtual machines. If Hyper-V sees a VM is running on less memory than it was awarded (and it is configured to work with dynamic memory), it will drop the value to what is in use + the buffer it was set in the configuration. This might free some physical memory for use for other VMs.

2. Is there any further change in the number of virtual processors supported in in SP1 , Currently i understand am max of 4
        Not that I heard of. The two new features in SP1 are Dynamic memory and RemoteFX.
        Didn't quite understand the question. Are you asking about what will trigger the Live Migration process? If so, I'll ask you in reply: who triggers the process? SCOM? Other monitoring tool?
        4.Has support for opensource platforms been extended beyond RedHat and SUSE in SP1.?
        Nope. The support for operating systems (open source or not) comes from the list of operating system supported by the Integration Components. No change was made to that list in SP1 (AFAIK).

Although I did not hear anything about this issue, my understanding (and from my experience with Windows Servers VMs) is that any OS that supports this on a physical server, will support it in a VM also. I had added disk on-the fly to 2003 Standard without any problem. Of course, you can do that on the SCSI adapter only (as gerth said). And you might need to do Rescan Disks in the Disk Management console.

6.Same as above question , what guest operating system can handle Dynamic Memory.?
        Client Operating Systems:
        • Windows Vista Business/Enterprise/Ultimate
        • Windows 7 Business/Enterprise/Ultimate

Server Operating Systems:
        • Windows Server 2003 SP2 Enterprise/Datacenter
        • Windows Server 2008 Enterprise/Datacenter
        • Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise/Datacenter

Nope. Although all documentation tend to link the two terms together, one does not have to use CSV to be able to do Live Migration. Here's a nice article on this issue.

HIH.
        Last edited by sorinso; 1st December 2010, 10:24.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -

Comment

Working...
        X