Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virtual DC hangs at startup and logon

Hi,

I have about 20 physical servers and I'm looking at using VMs for offline backup of the LOB services and apps.

I started off by creating VHDs of the core servers and now I'm at the stage where I'm testing them to see fi they work.

One server (DFS Namespace and File + Print Services) wouldn't activate which turns out is because it has a OEM licence on it DOH! and now trying to load up our 2K3 Native DC and that just hangs at Preparing network connections for ages then hangs at Applying computer settings for ages then after about 15 minutes the logon dialogue appears, loggin on then takes another aeon or two to accomplish.

I used sysinternals P2V tool to create the VHDs.

I have created a new VM in 2K8 R2 Hyper-V and attached the VHD I have also created an internal virtual network and connected the VM to it.

Could this be DNS related as in the physical infrastructure there are 2 DCs and they reference each other as well as being self referencial.

Any help much appreciated.

GD

Re: Virtual DC hangs at startup and logon

edited for clarity
    Last edited by GhostyDog; 17th November 2010, 17:07. Reason: ambiguous reasoning

Comment

Turns out that the HP Server I virtualised had lots of HP Specific software installed once I uninstalled all that off the VM plus some other bits and pieces that aren't required in the DR scenario it works fine. Probably easiest to do this in safe mode.
      Last edited by GhostyDog; 17th November 2010, 17:08.

Comment

Specifically it was HP Insight Management Agents that was using all CPU

Hopefully this will help someone in future.

GD

Comment

Thanks for posting back with your findings.

Comment

Hey GD ,.... just wanted to know reinstalling HP Insight Management Agent fixed the issue ?

Comment

Working...
            X