No announcement yet.

Cores or Threads or Speed

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cores or Threads or Speed

I'd appreciate some input on processors for Hyper-V. I'm building a system for testing network configurations. I am going to use Hyper-V to host a virtual network (with various servers and client operating systems) so I can test various tasks, configurations, and so on. (This is a casual project and I am trying to keep cost down so I am not looking to spend $1000+ on a high-end processor.)

All other factors equal, which processor would offer the best performance for a Hyper-V test environment:
    - Intel i7-870 (4 cores/8 threads/2.93Ghz)
    - Phenom II X6 1090T (6 cores/6 threads/3.2Ghz)
    - Phenom II X4 970 (4 cores/4 threads/3.5GHz)

I suppose the question is about which factor is more important: number of cores (Phenom with 6) or number of threads (i7 with ? And what about overall speed (would a Phenom with 4 cores/4 threads but faster clock speed outperform a slower i7 that has 4 cores and 8 threads)? Do the increased number of virtual CPUs (from more threads) improve performance, or does it all come down to overall processor power?

Re: Cores or Threads or Speed

Since hyper-v can share cores, RAM is your main concern -- at least until SP1 comes out with Dynamic RAM Allocation.

I use several HV hosts in a similar environment, so speak from experience
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **