Run VMCONNECT As Administrator Through TS Web Access

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Run VMCONNECT As Administrator Through TS Web Access

Brief explanation of why I want to do this.

I have some Windows 2000 VM's running under Hyper-V and wish to allow non-administrative users to connect to them.

Since W2K doesn't support RDC, then I have to use the Virtual Machine Connection (vmconnect.exe), either from the Hyper-V host or a Windows 7 machine with the Remote Administration Tools installed.

Neither of these are a valid option for non-adminsitrative users running XP.

So I finally figured out a way, I think, but ran into a snag. By installing Remote Desktop Services on the Hyper-V host, I can setup TS Web Access and create a RemoteApp to run the vmconnect.exe application.

Unfortunately, if I don't run vmconnect.exe as administrator, it doesn't see any of the VM's running on the host.

Does anyone know a way I can get vmconnect to run as administrator without the usual right-click bypass for UAC?

I can't set the privilege level since it says the program is part of that version of windows, and I can't disable UAC on Windows Server 2008 R2.

A similiar problem occurs if I create a RemoteApp for the Hyper-V Manager. I followed this TechNet article:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/m.../dd744831.aspx

But it says "MMC cannot open the file %ProgramFiles%\Hyper-V\virtmgmt.msc."

Any thoughts on this matter?

Re: Run VMCONNECT As Administrator Through TS Web Access

If I try using Runas, it still doesn't work:

runas /noprofile /user:domain\administrator "mmc virtmgmt.msc"

Enter the password for domain\administrator:
    Attempting to start mmc virtmgmt.msc as user "domain\administrator" ...
    RUNAS ERROR: Unable to run - mmc virtmgmt.msc
    740: The requested operation requires elevation.

Comment

Found this blog entry, which allows me to run Hyper-V Manager from the Host without UAC, but it has no effect when running it via RemoteApp.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/jhoward/a...v-manager.aspx

Comment

Moved to HyperV forum
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
        X