Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using Hyper-V and Failover Clustering

Hi Guys

Im new to the forum but im hoping someone can help me, i wish to impliment my first Hyper-V failover cluster using an entry level san for shared storage, i want to use two HP ML350 G6's as i have them already and i have two copies of server 2008 R2 enterprise, what im looking for is advise on how to setup?

For storage i already have an EMC Clariion AX150-500 San which i inherited which has dual fibre controllers so i believe i will need fibre hba's for the cluster nodes to connect to the san, im still unsure how it all connects together? will i need a Fibre Channel switch?

I wish to virtualise about 5 servers, 2 DC's, an exchange server (BPOS co existence, the majority 95% of mailboxes will be in the cloud with BPOS so disk speed and storage isnt that much of a factor but i will have two sql servers that are used by 300 plus users so i guess they are i/o intensive any help with this guys would be great i would love someone to lift the cloud in my head around this

also is san replication over a wan link possible with my kit?

Many many thanks in advance!!!
    Cheers
    Last edited by Shillelagh; 26th October 2010, 21:48.

Re: Using Hyper-V and Failover Clustering

yes, you would need fibre channel HBAs for each server.
    Each one should have two channels, so you can create a redundant path.
    something like:
    (wjere HBA is host bus adaptor on the server, SPA/b is storage processor A or B on the san.)

HBA0:0 goes to SPA0
    HBA0:1 goes to SPB0

HBA1:0 goes to SPA1
    HBA1:1 goes to SPB1

you would also need 2 FC switch. make sure you have multi-path drivers on the software, and configure the path groups on the array.
    that way, you've got redundancy if any one thing fails

configure your disks on the san in several layers: one of ultra-fast but low capacity disks, one with higher capacity disks but not so fast.

that's sort of surface level
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Hi

Fibre Channel seems pretty complicated if you have never used it before, if i was to scrap using the emc box and replace it with an iscsi box what would i need to achieve the same result ie a cluster with an iscsi san?

Thanks for your reply
      Cheers

Comment

You can use an iscsi box, as long as it supports iscsi3 persistent reservation. Not all iscsi targets support that.
        gerth

MCITP sa, ea & va, [email protected]

Comment

Why is that?

Comment

but can anyone help, using iscsi do i just need two iscsi hba's for the two hosts use my existing 1gb 3com switch and then purchase an entry level dell or hp san and disks? do i need anything else?

also would any one be able to point me in the direction of which entry level dell or hp san would work in this situation?

also is iscsi compatible with Cluster Shared Volumes?
            Last edited by Shillelagh; 27th October 2010, 11:49.

Comment

iscsi3 is for the cluster volume. It is needed for clustering an ntfs volume over iscsi. You do not need iscsi hba's normal server nic's will do fine. I would use 2 gigabit switches, and a san with redundancy build in.
              gerth

Comment

Hi Gerth

Ur a legend i really appreciate ur help, so just a quick recap

i have two dell servers with dual nics

i need 2 x 10/100/1000 Switches & 1 x iscsi redundant san with disks

from research on the net it looks like Cluster Shared Volumes new in R2 are the way to go to simplify shared storage in Hyper V? what do you think?

Comment

Yes, the cluster shared volumes are the best method for hyper-v. This technet article can help you setting it all up.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...8WS.10%29.aspx

I would team the nics, and then using vlans create multiple virtual nics, so you have a nic for iscsi, a nic for cluster traffic, etc

Good luck!
                  gerth

Comment

Thanks again Gerth

This is exactly the info im looking for

Cheers Mate

Comment

Just one other quick question guys

What iscsi san (entry level) would be suitable in this case? preferably HP or DELL brand.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Shillelagh View Post
                        Hi

Fibre Channel seems pretty complicated if you have never used it before, if i was to scrap using the emc box and replace it with an iscsi box what would i need to achieve the same result ie a cluster with an iscsi san?

Thanks for your reply
                        Cheers
                        you'd achieve the same by using network cards instead of HBAs.

I'd have in each server:

a single network card for the "server" itself
                        I'd then have however many i wanted for virtual switches.
                        I'd have a separate dedicated card to be used for the ISCSI
                        and separate thernet switches for the ISCSI

depends on what level of redundancy you want to go to
                        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Storage is a different kind of game.
                          Personally if I where you I would someone hire to help you out with it.

Or follow a study for it. Personally I've planned an NetApp and EMC study from Q4 till Q2 I'd believe.
                          Marcel
                          Technical Consultant
                          Netherlands
                          http://www.phetios.com
                          http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                          "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                          "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Hi

Just one last question, i plan on using HP kit and i have two HP DL 385 G7's to act as the cluster nodes and i have three nics in each 1 for lan, cluster & san traffic, i have one managed Gig switch which i plan to vlan to separate different traffics i also plan on using a HP StorageWorks P2000 G3 MSA as my iSCSI SAN appliance can anyone see anything wrong or can anyone add anything to this kit list? Should i use two switches for extra resilience?

Any help much appreciated
                            Shillelagh

Comment

Working...
                            X