Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving\Copying rather than migrating VM disks

Hi,

I just wanted to check the best method for copying Hyper-V VM disks on Hyper-V 2012 R2. I know you can migrate within the Hyper-V Manager but I don't want the old vhd(x) disks to go (just in case anything should go wrong).

Will an export and import allow me to achieve my goal? Or another technique?

Thanks

Export will leave the existing VM on the server - you can stop it and set it not to auto start

Copying VHDXs will work too
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

If you're copying the vhdx files to another server, try using Replication. That duplicates any vhdx files associated with the VM as well as the XML file that defines the VM (not that you appear to need it.) It does this while the VM is running or shut down. The time it takes to complete an initial repl is dependant on how much total volume is to be copied vs the size of the pipe this traffic moves through. My DR system includes a full cluster using replication to a second cluster in another location.
      *RicklesP*
      MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

Cheers guys, Im using Veeam to manage my replication but I need to move the storage of a VM from one folder to another (the folders physical location are on different disks).

So I could export and import and then just delete the old VM which wont delete the disks? Or as you said Ossian I could just manually copy the VHD(x) files and re-point the VM to those disks. There aren't any checkpoints so all should be well.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
        X