Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding a NIC team to a virtual switch breaks the networking

Hi,

I cant see why whats happening is happening but every time I try to create a new virtual switch in Hyper V and I use the Microsoft multiplexer driver which corresponds to the NIC team I have created previously the networking goes to pot.

The NICS are 1 x 10GB Intel and the other is a 1GB Intel

I've added a single NIC virtual switch without any problems.

Thanks as always

Just to jump in on my own thread - would it be because I haven't enabled Microsoft Network Adapter Multiplexor Protocol?

Originally posted by 5habbaranks View Post
    ...networking goes to pot.
    Can you explain exactly what happens?
    Originally posted by 5habbaranks View Post
    Just to jump in on my own thread - would it be because I haven't enabled Microsoft Network Adapter Multiplexor Protocol?
    No, you shouldn't need to check that. Creating the vSwitch will automatically configure the NIC, adding that and removing all other features.
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

You can't team dissimilar NIC speeds, they've got to be the same data rate. Teaming doesn't add bandwidth to a connection between only 2 endpoints (PC-A vs PC-B, both using x2 1Gig NICs in teams), due to how TCP connections work. Each one will use either leg 1 or leg 2 of it's own team, but never both, when only the same destination is concerned. I found this out several years ago when setting up my first cluster--the idea being that a 1Gig link could be a failover team member if the primary 10Gig link failed, but it isn't possible. If the link speeds don't match, you can't link them.
      *RicklesP*
      MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

Hi guys,

JeremyW So to elaborate when I try to assign the NIC team to the virtual switch I cant ping the host and the host cant ping the network.

Am I correct in thinking that if the NIC team works prior to adding it to a virtual switch then configuring the virtual switch shouldn't make any difference? I cant see why it would but I thought Id ask.

RicklesP Also teaming dissimilar NICS - I teamed the NICS so currently have 11GB and it appears to work - should I pull one to test your theory?

Comment

Did you check the "Allow management operating system to share this network adapter"?
          Regards,
          Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
          Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
          www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

i agree with RicklesP, you should never try to create a team or bind network adapters that are not identical in speed, duplex, etc and def not of a different manufacturer. its just asking for trouble.

if you do, they need to match in speed and duplex. also keep in mind features that are not RFC compliant that may be installed with the drivers, jumbo from, offset, turbo speed, speed burst, frame relay, etc.. all that could be causing a problem. its rought to say what causes the hang, but it might be usefull to pull an Etherape capture of the host box prior to the change just to see where the packets stop or if there is a weird reply etc...

but i would think the easiest way to trouble shoot it would be to have 2 identical NICs that you can install and team, then see if it does the same thing. i have never had a problem, but they are usually matching NICs on the same backplane, so i never have had a problem with teamed adapters
            its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
            Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

As an addendum: have a read of this article "https://www.altaro.com/hyper-v/hyper-v-network-teaming-understanding-link-speed/". It will explain some things and provides links to other resources. What I stated previously was not a 'theory'. You may get MS to team different speed NICs for you, but there will be issues with which actual speed you end up with (slowest of the team). One thing I haven't seen is what type of physical switch device your team is plugged into. Pls read this Cisco article "https://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk213/technologies_white_paper09186a0080092944.shtml". It describes the use of '...multiples of...' link speeds, not any combination of any speeds.
              *RicklesP*

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

Thanks, I'll give those a read.

I'm re-considering my plan giving a NIC team the same adapters\speeds and adding a the additional 10GB NIC as a failover.

Comment

Your latest plan makes, by far, the most sense.
                  *RicklesP*

Comment

Working...
                  X