Hyper-V 2016

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hyper-V 2016

I know this is a very basic question but I don't work with Hyper-V and will soon.
    If I am going to setup Hyper-V host with 3 VMs Win 2016. Dell PowerEdge 530 2TB 6 Disks.
    VM1 needs 250GB, VM2-250GB and VM3-250GB
    When I boot the to USB and install windows server 2016 host. at what point do I enter the drive space for each VM?

thank you in advance.

Have a look through this link and learn a bit about Hyper-V before you start creating VMs. I not sure that I understand your question. I set the VHD size when I create the VM. This can be done in several different ways so you really need to view a tutorial and decide what VHD you want.

Pluralsight have good tutorials so I assume their Hyper-V 2016 is good as well plus they have a Free Trial that can be used. There are other vendors of CBTs as well.

Ed Liberman from LinkedIn Learning has a fairly concise Configure Hyper-V on a Windows Server 2016 tutorial (scroll down) and he has a Free Trial that you can figure out how to use. I watch many of Ed's tutorials when he was making them with TrainSignal and found them to be excellent. This tutorial is about 1 hour 15 minutes long so it is concise.

I strongly suggest you run through a tutorial and follow it through on a machine. If you don't then it will likely bite you and bite you hard because according to Murphy, this will happen when anything that can go wrong will go wrong.

All the links are in bold.
    CBT = Computer Based Tutorial

Is this Server only going to be used for Hyper-V? If I have understood some of your post, am I correct in assuming that you are going to install Windows Server 2016 and then install the Hyper-V role on it? If it is only going to be used for VMs, have you considered installing the hypervisor instead of the whole of Server 2016? It is free and all you pay is for the operating system that you install on the VMs. Hyper-V 2016
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

the decision will be partially based on what role the servers will take. for example, i have several orgs that use ESX virtuals. the majority are just basic. the DC have a dynamic disc, dynamic RAM and CPU. one of their boxes are an SQL server. this particular server i have a fixed disk, no dynamic RAM but a dedicated 16 gigs and no dynamic disk but a solid fixed disk for the drive and a dedicated processor with 100% minimums 100% of the time. i have also created a different partition for the swap files that operate on a separate LUN from the system and DB disks.

so the roles are somewhat important when determining how you configure the disks. generally, things that require a dedicated service, that is never down, that has to operate in HA status, then you want to clearly define these roles based on solid I/O performance data from the servers you are planning to virtualize, if they are all ready in production and if not, you will use data from a similar I/O operation done by others.
      its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
      Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

Working...
      X