Windows Server Backup and Hyper-V

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Server Backup and Hyper-V

Quick question about Windows Server Backup (WSB) and Hyper-V virtual guests:

Is it possible to have WSB complete a full system backup on the Hyper-V host without interrupting (pausing) the network I/O on the Hyper-V guest machines?

If so, what needs to be done to implement this?

If not, what are alternatives?

(I scheduled full backups on my Hyper-V host and the backup job has been causing certain server applications to error/hang due to interrupted network I/O).

First post here!

Lunk

Re: Windows Server Backup and Hyper-V

80 page doc of backing up with WSB And Hyper-V

See if that helps you any, I'll keep hitting
    Last edited by Managor; 15th October 2010, 20:39.
    "To err is human but to really **** things up requires a computer user..."

"The path to enlightenment is /user/bin/enlightenment"

A+ CE

Comment

You need to perform this fix documented in KB958662 (google search it)

Also checkout the virutal PC guys blog on hyper v backup and certain issues you may encounter; (google search 'virtual pc guy and hyper v backup') sorry cant post links on here at the moment

Cheers
      Richard

Comment

Originally posted by Lunk Rat View Post
        Quick question about Windows Server Backup (WSB) and Hyper-V virtual guests:

Is it possible to have WSB complete a full system backup on the Hyper-V host without interrupting (pausing) the network I/O on the Hyper-V guest machines?
        • That's what I've been doing for a few months without any negative consequences. VMs are w2k3 x86 x64 R2 and w2k8 R2 x64.

• Nothing although you may need to re-register the VM writers if have any other backup software installed.

If not, what are alternatives?

(I scheduled full backups on my Hyper-V host and the backup job has been causing certain server applications to error/hang due to interrupted network I/O).

First post here!

Lunk
        • That's what I've been doing for a few months without any negative consequences. VMs are w2k3 x86 x64 R2 and w2k8 R2 x64.

• Nothing although you may need to re-register the VM writers if have any other backup software installed.

Comment

Not a real big help right now but this may be worth remembering for the future.
          http://www.altaro.com/hyper-v-backup/index.php
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
          X