High Availability Clustering

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High Availability Clustering

I want to implement high availability clustering between two virtual servers, each on a different host. Does Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 support this or just Windows Server 2008 w/ Hyper-V? I know that Hyper-V Server 2008 did not but thought that the newer R2 version may.

Thanks!

Re: High Availability Clustering

Both 2008RTM and 2008R2 support High Availability Cluster.
    In 2008R2 you have Live Migration also, that is not available in 2008 RTM.

What's the question? I didn't quite understand what you asked ...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

I also do not quite understand the question. 2008R2 also supports cluster shared volumes.
      gerth

MCITP sa, ea & va, [email protected]

Comment

Sorry. I'll try to be a little clearer.

I guess what I am really looking for is the key differences between the two different versions of Hyper-V, Hyper-V 2008 R2 (stand-a-lone) and Windows 2008 R2 w/ Hyper-V. I have been using the stand-a-lone version for about 10 months and like the fact the fact that the host OS is using minimal resources. I was hoping to use the newer R2 version to implement clustering between virtual servers on two different Hyper-V 2008 R2 host. I just can't find any documentation if it is supported or not in this newer version.

Thanks for your help!

Comment

I am not aware of something called Windows Server 2008 "stand-alone" Do you mean the Core version, perhaps?
          Anyway, you can see here the features supported by the R2 version. BTW, the original Server 2008 (not R2) is referred to as "Server 2008 RTM". Please try to stick to the official terminology, so everyone can understand what are you talking about.
          I suppose you read my previous reply... It is stated there clearly that HA Cluster is supported on both RTM and R2 versions.
          Last edited by sorinso; 19th October 2010, 09:36. Reason: forgot the link

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
          -

Comment

Hyper-V is available in a couple of ways:

Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 - Stand-alone product w/ Windows Hypervisor. I have found that many don't even know this exists but it works really well especially in resource limited environments.

Windows Server 2008 R2 w/ Hyper-V - Hyper-V role running on top of Windows Server 2008 R2.

I am a huge fan of the stand-alone product since when using Windows, less is usually better. Much like how VMWare uses the lightweight ESX server to host the VMs.

I just need to know if the stand-alone version will support clustering between VMs on two different hosts or do I have to use Windows Server 2008 R2 as the host to provide this functionality (I really hope not).

Thanks!

Comment

Gee, it took me reading your post three times to realize you are talking about Hyper-V Server 2008
              The answer to your question is "Of course!" See the product's official page for the list of features, among them the HA Cluster.
              Last edited by sorinso; 19th October 2010, 18:05.

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Working...
              X