Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hyper V host low on memory but still running??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hyper V host low on memory but still running??

Hi all

So i have a Hyper V 2008 R2 lost with 36GB memory according to Virtual Machine Manager it has 202mb remaining.

I am baffled how it is still running as I understand that the OS reserves 2GB approx and the host needs about 2GB
    None of the vm's are using dynamic memory, so is its just when you use dynamic memory that the host reserves memory.
    Or does the host hold back memory when using static memory within vm's as well ?

Thanks for any pointers
    Last edited by Ghostrocket; 3rd March 2017, 18:53.

The 2GB is an estimate and best practices for making sure the host has enough RAM to function. The host will not hold that amount free and will use up as much RAM as it needs up to what is available. The 202MB free you see in VMM (I recommend dumping VMM btw) is what was reported as free by the OS at the last polling. It doesn't have anything to do with how much RAM is assigned to VMs. If you have no VMs and an application with a memory leak on the host that uses all but 202MB, VMM would report 202MB free on the host even though no VMs are running and use RAM.
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
    X