Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hyper-V CPU/Memory resources - Daft question

Hi all

Please be patient with what may be a very silly question, but it will hopefully resolve an issue between me and lets say my new colleague

We have 5 Hyper V hosts all exactly the same specs in terms of OS, memory and CPU's he is indicating that CPU and memory is collective across all hosts.

So for example if host 1 has 5GB memory spare and host 2 has 1GB spare, we can create a VM with 6GB memory on Host 1 as the memory is shared.
    Hope this makes sense, I believe this is totally wrong, but feel free to tell me otherwise.

Thanks

As far as I know, HyperV does not work that way - a VM runs on resources on one host or another.
    He may be thinking of System Centre Virtual Machine manager, which can automatically move VMs to balance resource usage across hosts
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ghostrocket View Post
      Hi all

Please be patient with what may be a very silly question, but it will hopefully resolve an issue between me and lets say my new colleague

We have 5 Hyper V hosts all exactly the same specs in terms of OS, memory and CPU's he is indicating that CPU and memory is collective across all hosts.

So for example if host 1 has 5GB memory spare and host 2 has 1GB spare, we can create a VM with 6GB memory on Host 1 as the memory is shared.
      Hope this makes sense, I believe this is totally wrong, but feel free to tell me otherwise.

Thanks
      No. Hyper-V doesn't have that capability.

Comment

Absolutely not. RAM taken up by a VM is only used in the Hypervisor that 'owns' the VM. In the case of a failover cluster, when you 'live migrate', what you're doing is moving the memory contents that is the VM in active ram from one cluster member to another. I don't have SCCM running that Ossian describes, but yes, the dynamic move of a VM between hypervisors due to resource balancing is an option.
        *RicklesP*
        MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

Many thanks all - I can sit here smug

Comment

Working...
          X