• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hyper V - Replication - Setup Help

Hi,

I would like to setup the following

Main Host running 3 VM's
    Remote Host for replication and disaster

Do I setup the DC on the Main Host or VM1, is the Remote host a member of the domain or standalone or what ?
    then i need to replicate the 3 VM's to the remote host which will be done via VPN, I assume that's the best option

In the event of a disaster what is the best option for users to access the remote VM's and continue to work

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Andrew

Your remote host can be a member of the same domain as main host, or it can be a standalone device. The authentication for replication will vary depending on which option you choose: if Remote Host is a domain member, you can set up replication using Kerberos. If not, you'll need to use certificates, self-signed on the Remote Host's part. If your replication path is thru a VPN, make sure it's got some bandwidth because replication can fill up a pipe really quickly. In the event of a failover condition, the replicated VMs don't start automatically, you've got to do that yourself. As for your users accessing those, the assumption is that they'll use the same VPN link as the replication was using. Their traffic replaces the repl traffic. Once you've got the primary site fixed and you want to stand it back up, you'll need to reverse replication on the VMs, wait for that to complete, then fail them back. But that reverse repl traffic will be over the same VPN pipe that the users are now filling, so bandwidth will be an even bigger issue.

I use Hyper-V 2012 (not R2) replication for a customer and it's saved my bacon more than once. But it can be fiddly. I recommend reading this MS 'checklist' for best practice steps for using this technology: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/...hecklist-form/

Good luck.
    *RicklesP*
    MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

I am in the process of setting up the following and awaiting delivery of the equipment for a client, Its my first VM system and I just need help and recommendations on certain parts, apologies for repeating myself in my first post

HP DL380 Gen9 E5 2620 8 Core (2 processors) 128Gb Ram, 2 x 800Gb 6G SSD, 6 x 450Gb 12G SAS 15K

Part 1:

Physical Host 1 2 x 800Gb SSD Raid 1

3 VMs

VM1 2 x 450Gb Raid 10 Server 2016 - DC & file server
      VM2 2 x 450Gb Raid 10 - Server 2016 running Sage 200 & small SQL
      VM3 2 x 450Gb Raid 10 Server 2016 running bespoke software using Apache, MySQL & PHP

The 3 VMs will be replicated to a remote site via VPN (2 x Draytek 2860) Physical Host 2

My questions are:

Physical Host 1 should it be a standalone or member of the domain or does not matter, VM2 & VM3 are members of the domain (VM1)

I assume Physical Host 2 is the same as Physical Host 1 either standalone or member of the domain

Whats the best options for virtual processors and memory allocation on the VMs

Part 2:

In the event of a total disaster etc, the 3 remote VMs would be started, what would be the best option for say 5/10 staff to access the system Physical Host 2 from their homes, ie Remote Desktop, Terminal Services, VPN etc

Any help and recommendations would be appreciated

Thanking you in advance

Andrew

Comment

Working...
      X