Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virtual Mac?

Hi,

So a number of roles I am looking at require Apple Mac support. Despite the fact that my youngest daughter and wife have iPhones and iPads I have virtually no technical expertise with them, to be brutally honest I've never been interested in them.

I have loked around on Google/Bing and it's all a bit confusing so my question is, does anyone know of any virtual Mac/iPad resources? I'd be happiest to install an Apple mac as a virtual in Hyper-V if that's possible and I suppose a pre-built one would be best especially since Apple don't seem to market DIY systems.

Keke
    J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
    The Abyssal Void War: Stars, Hide Your Fires

Have you ever looked at Hackintosh? There are a plethora of tutorials on YouTube that you can use to become familiar with the O/S. The hardest thing I found using a Mac was getting the root credentials for the owner. Most had not freaking idea and if they had locked up things with the credentials they used to install in and then created an normal user account, you had problems. Most of the L users had no idea what the root account was even if it was the one they were using.

Macs are not that difficult if you use them frequently enough otherwise I have found it a bit like running Windows 7 for 4 or 5 years and then going to try and find setting on Windows XP or even worse, Windows 98. You forget what was previously second nature. I could talk a user through installing XP or diagnosing an issue while I was driving in traffic. The process and screens were imprinted on my tiny brain. I had trouble finding the IP configuration location on an XP VM last week. That is what working infrequently with a Mac is IMO. I ended up purchasing a cheap piece of a MacBook from eBay and now use that as a brain trainer.

Comment

Originally posted by JJKing View Post
      Have you ever looked at Hackintosh? There are a plethora of tutorials on YouTube that you can use to become familiar with the O/S.
      Thanks JJ ... that looks rather promising

Keke

Comment

Pretty much against the EULA to do that.

Will be monitoring this as we do not condone any form of piracy or circumventing licence agreements.

Comment

Did some more reading about Hackintosh and it seems I have badly misunderstood what I read on the site that first pointed me to the software. Mr Willieb1 is quite correct in that it is against the Apple EULA. Read this link for a good explanation about why it does breach the MacOSX EULA.

Comment

Damn shame, as I suspect I am not the only Wintel guy who would like to try the "dark side" without buying the hardware. Apple, should you be listening, consider selling virtual macs!
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I gave up about 3 years ago and purchased a second hand 2009 MacBook on eBay for about 175. Then spent another 50 upping the RAM from 2GB to 8GB. Runs quite well but a warning to all, do NOT install El Capitan or worse Serria. Yosemite runs fine. Even the mid 2010 Macs do not like MacOS Serria that much but then the hardware is 6 years old. One day I will throw an SSD into it and see what they runs like.....maybe.

Apologies as I seem to have taken this thread a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by JJKing View Post
                I gave up about 3 years ago and purchased a second hand 2009 MacBook on eBay for about 175. Then spent another 50 upping the RAM from 2GB to 8GB. Runs quite well but a warning to all, do NOT install El Capitan or worse Serria. Yosemite runs fine. Even the mid 2010 Macs do not like MacOS Serria that much but then the hardware is 6 years old. One day I will throw an SSD into it and see what they runs like.....maybe.

Apologies as I seem to have taken this thread a bit.
                Not really and yes, that probably is a good solution ... money is an issue right now but I will keep an eye out on eBay

Keke

Comment

Working...
                X