Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hyper-V vs VirtualBox

OK,

So in some of my previous threads I stuck pretty much to the idea that I should be using VMWare as my virtualisation source on the basis that it was what I hoped to gain more skills in as I try to get another job.

I was persuaded (largely by Scott) to move away to an OS hosted virtualisation environment and chose to use server 2012 running Hyper-V, which would then run VMware ... I can't say I'm a fan of Hyper-V (I would describe it as "clunky") but I've been sticking with it for similar reasons to the above, it's something I need to learn about and what better way than to use it? Using Hyper-V my Ubuntu VM stopped working, my just attempted vSphere install stopped at "Relocating modules and starting up the kernel..." and when I tried to change the networking configuration to test DHCP client service on a virtualised 2012 server it still insisted it had a static IP (and that despite completely deleting the network configuration at virtual hardware level).

So I'm beginning to wonder if I've chosen the right hypervisor.

I'm particularly interested in Hyper-V and VirtualBox but can you guys tell me what you use and why you prefer that over whatever else?

Keke
    J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
    The Abyssal Void War: Stars, Hide Your Fires

I use VMware Workstation on Windows 7 for my testing/labs/etc.

I fond VMware workstation is the most polished type 2 hypervisor on the market, IMHO.

For a type 1 hypervisor i use ESXi5.5 on work production and ESXi6 at home in a nested lab inside Workstation.

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
      I use VMware Workstation on Windows 7 for my testing/labs/etc.

I fond VMware workstation is the most polished type 2 hypervisor on the market, IMHO.

For a type 1 hypervisor i use ESXi5.5 on work production and ESXi6 at home in a nested lab inside Workstation.
      OK, but you need to buy WMWare Workstation don't you?

Keke
      Last edited by Kyuuketsuki; 24th September 2016, 08:50.
      J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
      The Abyssal Void War: Stars, Hide Your Fires

Comment

Yes you do.

Comment

Working...
        X