Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hyper-V IP Routing Configuration

OK,

So I'm not sure if this is a Hyper-V question or a routing question ... I'm assuming Hyper-V but if the forum MODS want to shift it that's fine by me

I have built two virtual (Hyper-V) Windows 2012 servers which I intend to promote to DCs to create my test domain and I've decided to put them on the 192.168.2.0/24 subnet in order to keep them separate from my normal subnet (192.168.1.0/24).

What I need to do is effectively route network traffic to my normal network's gateway (192.168.1.1) ... is this something that comes "naturally" when I promote the servers to create my domain or is there something I need to do first? I can't see anything in Hyper-V itself that allows me to route network traffic so I'm assuming that one or both of my soon-to-be-DCs need somehow configuring. I can't see anything obvious in Roles or Features and it doesn't look like I can do it at the adapter level so where do I do it? Do I need to build a separate router?

Sorry about the basic questions but I was never all that good with networks.

Keke
    J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
    The Abyssal Void War: Stars, Hide Your Fires

Yes, you need a router. You can install RRAS on another VM, connect it to both subnets and use it as a router.

Comment

Look for Freesco. Its a free router that comes as a floppy image or a CDROM i think.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
        Yes, you need a router. You can install RRAS on another VM, connect it to both subnets and use it as a router.
        OK ...

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
        Look for Freesco. Its a free router that comes as a floppy image or a CDROM i think.
        ... so I can create a linux router and everything using that, right?

But, given that Linux is a secondary consideration to me (I am doing a Linux CL admin course of YouTube at the moment but I'm basically Windows) can I not just give one or both of my DCs dual network cards and use them as routers (I think that might be what Joe was suggesting)? I'm fairly sure I remember Windows being able to do that.

From the look of Freesco download page (it has Windows executables) I should be able to run it as a router program on Windows too however it doesn't seem to work on 2K12 R2.

Keke

Comment

Windows certainly has RRAS as a role, although best practice is NOT to put it on a DC (obvious security implications)
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
            Windows certainly has RRAS as a role, although best practice is NOT to put it on a DC (obvious security implications)
            Fair enough

Keke

Comment

Originally posted by Kyuuketsuki View Post
              ... so I can create a linux router and everything using that, right?

But, given that Linux is a secondary consideration to me (I am doing a Linux CL admin course of YouTube at the moment but I'm basically Windows) can I not just give one or both of my DCs dual network cards and use them as routers (I think that might be what Joe was suggesting)? I'm fairly sure I remember Windows being able to do that.

From the look of Freesco download page (it has Windows executables) I should be able to run it as a router program on Windows too however it doesn't seem to work on 2K12 R2.

Keke
              You don't create the router.

Your not doing Linux to configure it either. Its all pretty much menu driven. It does use the linix kernel but as far as i'm aware thats pretty much it.

Took me about 10 mins to get it running and that included finding it and creating the VM.

You can of course work out Windows RRAS but i've yet to see this used in the real world, anywhere.

Comment

Your not doing Linux to configure it either. Its all pretty much menu driven. It does use the linix kernel but as far as i'm aware thats pretty much it.

Took me about 10 mins to get it running and that included finding it and creating the VM.

You can of course work out Windows RRAS but i've yet to see this used in the real world, anywhere.
                Fair enough on Windows. I'm not very good with Linux yet so is Freesco available as pre-installed Linux machine or something?

Keke

Comment

Its available as a floppy image which you boot your vm with and configure.

Comment

Its available as a floppy image which you boot your vm with and configure.
                    OK ... never done that but I'll give it a go

Keke

Comment

Working...
                    X