No announcement yet.

Cluster my hyper v servers or not?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cluster my hyper v servers or not?

We currently have a large deployment of XenServer with roughly 32 hosts on 4 clusters. We are slowly looking to move to hyper v after some testing and live deployments that are running very well with Veeam backups which was a big selling point.

My Question is, why should i cluster the Hyper V servers? I've got 8 hyper v servers and have set them up for shared nothing live migrations using a powershell script got from a book ive been reading, which seems to work quite well.

Many thanks in advance.

Why should you cluster them? Because shared nothing Live Migration is great for when you want to manually move a virtual machine or script the move of a virtual machine from one host to another but doesn't do anything if a host fails. If a host fails then all of the virtual machines on that host will fail. Live Migration in and of itself and shared nothing Live Migration don't provide any failover capability or high availability for your virtual machines. Failover Clustering provides failover capability and high availability for your virtual machines. Live Migration is the mechanism by which virtual machines move from one host to another but Live Migration doesn't itself provide for any type of automatic failover of virtual machines if a host fails.

Do have the clustering infrastructure (SANs etc) in place or is it extra cost?
      What degree of high availability and failover do you need?
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **