No announcement yet.

How do I delete avhds

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I delete avhds

Hello I am running two Virtual servers on my Hyper-V manager. In the past month the size of my avhds have doubled, thus they are almost the size of my original vhd files, which is almost 300GB. I am currently running on low disk space and cant seem to extend the volume since they are all internal disks.
    How do I effectively delete these vhds without running into errors starting up the virtual machines.
    The criticality too here is that, I am running two exchange servers.

Re: How do I delete avhds

sounds like you may have a snapshot equivalent issue, and need to merge them down
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point

Thanks, but how do I go about that? Should I delete the entire snapshot subtree and then turn off the VM and then the merge begins?
      Does this method always delete or reduce the size of the avhd file?
      One thing I have also noticed is that, I have only one snapshot for one of the virtual machines but when I check in the folders I have about 5 avhds... What could be causing this?

Thanks for your reply.

AVHD files are created when you create a snapshot to a virtual machine. These files are not to be dealt manually !!
        Plus, given the fact that we are dealing with Exchange Servers here (are they production, by any chance?) you should be more than careful when dealing with the snapshots.
        Try to think why did you create the snapshot in the first place. If the snapshot is no longer needed, you should remove it and let the original VHD file and the new AVHD merge. And yes, you will need to shut down the VM for that (it might take a long time, given the size of the AVHD file ).
        Anyway, before doing anything, there are two things you can do:
        1) get a consultant (that has knowledge both in Hyper-V and Exchange) to come over and see what's going on and tell you what is the best course of action, or
        2) give us ALL the info you have about your set-up (both host and VM) to be able to get the whole picture and try to give you the best advice.
        I would opt for the first, especially if the EXCH servers are production. The stakes are very high here...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.