No announcement yet.

BackupExec 2010 VM agent backup

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BackupExec 2010 VM agent backup

Just need to bounce an idea of some experts

I will be installing SBS 2008 Premium with SQL server on another Windows Server 2008 server running on Hyper-V or ESXi. Now I'm thinking about installing BackupExec 2010 on the SQL server to backup the SBS and SQL server vmdx or vhd files in case we need to restore the entire virtual machine the restore time would be some much faster. If I install BE on the virtual host, in this case better on the SQL server I will need the VMWARE or HYPER-V agent for BE2010 which costs about $1200 and then I can backup both VMs to a NAS. Also, to have Exchange GRT recovery options I would need to deploy the Exchange agent onto SBS 2008. Does that solution makes sense? Any weak points?

Thanks so much for any input

Re: BackupExec 2010 VM agent backup

Backup Exec do an SBS version which will cover all aspects of the SBS including Exchange.

Probably best to check with them direct but AFAIK no problem putting the product or an agent on the VM -- the VM Agent backs up all the VMs on one host so saves you money if you have >3 VMs per host
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **