No announcement yet.

Hyper-V Manager vs Failover Cluster Manager vs Virtual Machine Manager Console?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hyper-V Manager vs Failover Cluster Manager vs Virtual Machine Manager Console?

Hi gurus,

So... Between these 3 "interfaces" I have for Hyper-V management purposes, what is the difference? Why do I have all three? Is this just meant to drive me nuts? This whole environment was installed by a vendor and never did I really get an explanation as to why I have them all at my disposal. Some things seem available in some and not others, and some seem more simplistic.

I've Googled around, but never really found a good explanation regarding the differences in these three.

Help? I'm just curious.

They're three completely different tools for three completely different roles/features/products. They're very often used together, but that isn't a given.

1. Hyper-V Manager is for managing Hyper-V hosts and virtual machines residing on those hosts. It can be used on a standalone Hyper-V host or it can be used to manage a Hyper-V host or hosts that are members (nodes) of a Failover Cluster.

2. Failover Cluster Manager is for managing a failover cluster. In the context of Hyper-V it's used for managing a Hyper-V failover cluster. You can also manage virtual machines that have been clustered. You can't use it to directly manage Hyper-V components like virtual switches, etc. and you can't use it to manage non-clustered virtual machines. For that you go back yo number 1: Hyper-V Manager.

3. Virtual Machine Manager is a management server akin to vCenter Server for VMware ESX-/vSphere. You use Virtual Machine Manager to manage Hyper-V hosts and Hyper-V failover clusters.

The scenario you've described is perfectly normal and widely implemented.

OK, great. That is helpful, thank you!

As an aside, for small implementations you really don't need SCVMM. I suspect the vendor sold it to you as a way to sell you more hours or services. If you've only got a handful of Hyper-V hosts in a failover cluster I don't see much need or value in having SCVMM. You can manage the Hyper-V failover cluster completely with the Hyper-V and Failover Clustering management consoles on their own. SCVMM is a bit of overkill for a small deployment. I have a client that has a 3 node Hyper-V failover cluster and we only use the Hyper-V and Failover Clustering management consoles to manage everything.
        Last edited by joeqwerty; 15th March 2016, 00:27.

I would agree with what joeqwerty said: Hyper-V manager and Failover Cluster Manager are native tools, and are fine for managing a few servers, even a few clusters if they are all in one site. SCVMM is great for multi-site and/or multi-domain setups and let you do a lot of things in one place.

Management is one area (IMO/E) where VMware is still well ahead of Hyper-V.
          BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
          Cruachan's Blog