No announcement yet.

Multiple VMs Stuck in Stopped State ...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiple VMs Stuck in Stopped State ...

Hi all,

I am running hyper-v (Windows 2012 r2) on an HP server 128GB mem with 2X1T HDD Mirror and 2X800GB SSD running in Raid 0

The virtual machine drive is configured for the SSD.

I have automation that creates about 50 VMs at a time and after 5 min it try to shutdown and delete the VMs...

seems that after few hours of work (where multiple VM created and deleted normally) , all the VMs get in Stopped state and will not continue to shutdown

also the hyper-v service seems to be stuck and you cannot stop it either

you cannot kill tasks (access denied ) for the hyper-v or the VM (tried) - only reboot helps

so I am not sure if the issue is with the SSD or something else...

I do not want to kill the services...
    tried to lower the number of VM running ... same thing
    just looking for normal operation of the server...
    Ideas are welcome...

Thanks!

Try looking at your SSD to see if the VM deletion is removing the VHDX files. When manually deleting a VM, the xml files that define the VM are thrown out, but the virtual hard drive files which are the boot volumes for the VMs to run from are left behind. Check to see if the SSD destination has any space left on it.

But I gotta ask: automation to create and then almost immediately throw away 50 VMs at a time?? Can you explain what you're doing that for?
    *RicklesP*
    MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by RicklesP View Post
      Try looking at your SSD to see if the VM deletion is removing the VHDX files. When manually deleting a VM, the xml files that define the VM are thrown out, but the virtual hard drive files which are the boot volumes for the VMs to run from are left behind. Check to see if the SSD destination has any space left on it.

But I gotta ask: automation to create and then almost immediately throw away 50 VMs at a time?? Can you explain what you're doing that for?

it is for testing, we are running few scripts, check everything is ok and... do it again

Comment

Then I would verify that ALL aspects of a VM are thrown away by your script. There's a resource shortage somewhere, either in the hypervisor's RAM or the storage space where you put your VMs, after you've run your script(s).
        *RicklesP*
        MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

Hi XtaZee,

This is a bit late but might be of help for you; have you looked through the Hyper-V VMMS Admin log in eventviewr to see at what point or which operation might be crashing the 'stop & delete' script?

Comment

Working...
          X