Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Logical drive created for a guest VM on host query?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Logical drive created for a guest VM on host query?

Hello Folks,

Hopefully somebody will be able to clarify something for me here please?

About five months ago I created a brand new server 2012r2 standard physical server as a new host Hyper-V server for two guest hyper-V guests.

Both new Hyper-v guest servers are working fine for five months.

I created three separate logical drives on the host server one for host and one each for each of the Hyper-V guest servers. One logical drive is fine with plenty of space left not much growth. The other logical drive has 5% left of 544Gb, I find this very strange as the c:\ drive of this guest hyper-V server is only using 139Gb of the 544Gb, and the physical logical drive is not used for anything else.

Can anybody shine some light on this for me, it would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks.

Have you used the Hyper-V tool Inspect Disk to check the drive? ([EDIT] This tool is on Hyper-V 2008. Is it still included with 2012 R2? )
    Can you run Treesize to check for large files or a massive number of small ones?
    Are you taking Snapshots of the VM? Though that should be it. I have run out of ideas.
    Last edited by biggles77; 18th July 2015, 12:02. Reason: Added a rider
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Sounds like Snapshots (checkpoints) to me. Delete the checkpoints and then wait awhile. Hyper-V will merge the AVHD files but it could take hours.

Note that checkpoints are not backups and should never be used as such. They are for temporary, short-term failback points. The only time I use them in production is when doing updates. I take a checkpoint, install updates, verify things are working, then delete the checkpoint.

When using checkpoints, disk usage can increase dramatically. The VM can take up to the dependant drive size + the logical drive size. So lets say you have a VHD that is 80GB and you take a snapshot. This creates an AVHD differencing disk. The AVHD will then start capturing any changes made and can grow up to the size of the logical volume. Take another snapshot will create another AVHD which will capture changes and can grow up to the size of the logical volume. My guess is that you have several large snapshots/checkpoints.
      Regards,
      Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
      Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
      www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Apolgises folks been away for a while no snpshots beeing taken.

Thanks for the replies.

Comment

No problem.

So no snapshots, eh?

Can you go to the VM settings and get the full path of the VHD(X) files attached? Also, for each VHD(X) file, click on the Inspect button. Post the results of both.
          Regards,
          Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
          Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
          www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Apologies for not responding, had to park this issue for now.

Thanks for your response, appreciated.

Comment

Working...
            X