No announcement yet.

Determining when a VM was last paused, when on a WS2012 host?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Determining when a VM was last paused, when on a WS2012 host?

Hi Everyone,

I am using Windows Server 2012 Standard at my work. Within WS2012 I have a the Hyper-V role enabled, and I am running a number of Virtual Machines.

Recently one of the VMs entered the 'Paused' state without my intervention. I am now trying to work out how to determine the time that the VM became paused. I figure that there is probably an entry in the Event Viewer logs on the Server, however I am not having any luck finding the entry (assuming that it does exist).

How does one go about determining when a VM was last paused / restarted / started / stopped / etc?

Any help here will be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regads,

Based on some digging, your VM may have paused due to not enough RAM on the Hypervisor, or storage space issues where the VM's virtual hard disk (VHDX) file resides.
    Have a look at this info I found using :

It calls out 10 different catagories of info that are logged by default in Hyper-V. I don't have access to Hyper-V just now to help point out specifically which event(s) may help you, but have a browse based on when you knew the VM was NOT paused and then when you knew it WAS paused. Somewhere in there you may find something which gives you a clue.
    MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

I believe the log you're looking for is in the Event Viewer under Applications and Services Logs -> Microsoft -> Windows -> Hyper-V-Worker

If you can't find it there check the VMMS and the rest of the Hyper-V logs.

Network Consultant/Engineer
      Baltimore - Washington area and beyond