Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hyper-v replica cluster to single host

Hi,

For a customer I'm looking to the option of replicating his two node 2012 R2 cluster to a single host 2012 R2 hyper-v. Everything is within the same network subnet.
    I still have some questions about this setup:

- Can you run other vm's on the single host if it is configured as a replica server ? I would like to run extra domain controller en management vm's on that single host

- I case of disaster and the cluster goes down , does it need manual interaction to bring the replicated vm's on-line ?

thanks in advance for any help

Lieven

Originally posted by lievenm View Post
    - Can you run other vm's on the single host if it is configured as a replica server ? I would like to run extra domain controller en management vm's on that single host
    Yes, you can run other VMs on the server that holds replicas. You can also have two servers, clusters, or any combination replicate VMs between each other.

Originally posted by lievenm View Post
    - I case of disaster and the cluster goes down , does it need manual interaction to bring the replicated vm's on-line ?
    Yes, you will need to manually failover the VM or use some automation scripts you write (or some 3rd party product). You must be very careful with anything that automatically fails over. Generally, manual failover is best.

Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

I concur with what Jeremy said, you don't want Hyper-V replicas coming online automatically.

Hyper-V replica is primarily designed for DR and not for HA (which you have from your cluster anyway). I've built a few similar setups where the replica server is at a satellite office or a datacentre in the event of power outages etc at the main office.

Make sure all 3 servers are identical from a hardware point of view, with the exception that the replica server will need much more disk space than the cluster servers.
      BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
      sigpic
      Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Originally posted by cruachan View Post
        Make sure all 3 servers are identical from a hardware point of view.
        I am not aware of any requirements along these lines. You can even replicate from Intel to AMD and vice versa.
        With replicas, the main thing is making sure you have enough resources on the host so that you are able to run the VMs you need/want to in the event the source has failed. In addition to that you need to make sure the vSwitch is named and configured the same.
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

You're right, was thinking about clusters. Replicas don't need to be the same.
          BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
          sigpic
          Cruachan's Blog

Comment

And to save on bandwidth for the replicas, you might want to have your VMs configured to use a separate disk for their swap file, and exclude that disk from the replication set. for the copied VM, you'll want the same file in the same relative place on the replica destination so it's available should you need to bring up the replica VM, but at least you won't be trying to send such dynamic updates thru your replica link. Since the contents of the swap file start from scratch at each boot, you manually copy that VHDX file once per VM and you're done.
            *RicklesP*
            MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

Working...
            X