Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hyper V Issues

Hi

I have an issue hyper v box of our has disk space issues so we discovered that a snapshot had taken place a few weeks back, no one has admitted to creating the snapshot can a snapshot be taken automatically by hyper-v? now we are in the situation where a person has said they have deleted the snapshot but the server has rolled back to a few weeks previous the only options are revert apply or delete is it a case that the engineer must have clicked apply or revert on the snapshot instead of delete?

so my three questions are, i have no backup only one from 4 weeks ago is their any way i can roll the virtual server back to its original state with out a backup if the vm was reverted? and snapshot deleted from hyper-v?

also can snapshots happen automatically?

please confirm im right that by they say the hit deleted but they mustnt of if the server reverted back to a couply of weeks ago

any help much appreciated

thanks

Re: Hyper V Issues

Originally posted by Senan View Post
    is their any way i can roll the virtual server back to its original state with out a backup if the vm was reverted? and snapshot deleted from hyper-v?
    Hmmmm... Nope. You can try to use some Undelete software to see if you can recover the differencing disk, but even if you do, the smallest problem in its consistency (not always you recover properly a deleted file) will render your VM unusable. The risk is high, you can do more damage than positive results.

also can snapshots happen automatically?
    Not that I ever heard of any automatic process (besides man-made scripting) that can do such a thing ...

please confirm im right that by they say the hit deleted but they mustnt of if the server reverted back to a couply of weeks ago
    This is what the commands do on a snapshot:
    Delete = deletes that snapshot and you cannot go back to that point in time anymore.
    Apply = merges the contents of the differencing disk created with the snapshot into the VM's original disk. It is done when the machine is restarted or shut down.
    Revert = takes back the VM to the point in time when the snapshot was created. The differencing disk is deleted.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

Working...
    X