Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accidently deleted all snapshots sub-tree

Accidently deleted all snapshots sub-tree
    Hi I am running hyper-v on a windows 2008 datacenter (not R2). Today I have accidently clicked on “delete all snapshot sub-tree”. At the moment no changes have been made to actual virtual machine which is still running fine but as soon I turn-off or restart my VM the VHD drives will merge damaging forever the current version (now) of my virtual machine which is the only state I would like to keep.
    Is there any way to stop the merge? If not is there any way to clone the VM without switching off the machine?
    If I take new snapshot of the system of the system now will I be able to retrive the current status when the VHD merger is completed?
    Please help.

Re: Accidently deleted all snapshots sub-tree

first up - make sure your backups are up to date.

then, yes, I think trying to make a current snapshot is the best idea.
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Interesting. I do not know how to manually stop the pending merge process, however surely, the only way to prevent it from happening eight now is to prevent the VM from ever shutting down.

I wonder what would happen if you stop the Hyper-V service. This would probably kill all running VMs, but I think (think = don't know for sure) that it won't trigger the merging.

Then, you may be able to copy the VHD file. You might be able to use the VHD to create a new VM out of it, and that'll take you to the point in time where the snapshot has been created (note how the change date on that file is from when the snapshot has been created).

I guess that's your only option.

BTW, you may want to try to copy the VHD file as it is now, maybe the system will let you copy it even if it's under use.

Another BTW, you may be able to create a VSS snapshot of the volume, then access the snapshot and copy the VHD file from there.

Let us know, this is interesting.
      Cheers,

Daniel Petri
      Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
      MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Hi All,

It turned out that I was wrong. Delete all snapshots tree doesn’t deleted the current situation.

So this morning I shutdown my VM and the merger started as expected. It took 3 hours to complete. When the machine started up again everything was exactly as I left it.

Hyper-v merged together all the snapshots and the therefore the current status (which is the one called NOW on the snapshots tree) was kept. The merge also cleared 23GB of space on my host machine so it was worth it.

Best regards
        Emiliano

Comment

Well then, you did not explain what exactly you wanted to happen.

Deleting a snapshot or a snapshot tree will merge the current state of the VM with the original VHD file, once the VM is shut down.

Reading your original post, this was NOT what you wanted. You wanted to keep the original VHD.

At the moment no changes have been made to actual virtual machine which is still running fine but as soon I turn-off or restart my VM the VHD drives will merge damaging forever the current version (now) of my virtual machine which is the only state I would like to keep.
          Is there any way to stop the merge? If not is there any way to clone the VM without switching off the machine?
          By shutting down the VM, you DID merge the AVHD and VHD files... So???

Cheers,

Daniel Petri
          Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
          MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Working...
          X