Hyper-V cluster question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hyper-V cluster question

I have Hyper-V setup and have 2 Server 2008 virtual servers running on the same box. How do I get them to see the same data store so I can cluster?

Re: Hyper-V cluster question

Little more detail about your setup? Is this Hyper-V Server or the Hyper-V role on Server 2008 for instance?
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

yea, i'm a bit confused too.

Although the best solution would probably be an iSCSI implementation in my mind..
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

The answer depends on what kind of clustering you actually need. Some techniques like NLB work just fine without much special configuration. You get even some fault tolerance in addition to load balance clustering.

Application aware clustering requires 3rd party software or Windows Clustering. For that you need shared storage for cluster witness and storage. A SAN is usually used with real hardware. Virtual Server provides shared SCSI bus which will work too. For Hyper-V, the easiest way is, I gather, to use iSCSI.

-vP

Comment

As the previous posters requested, please post all the relevant information of your set-up, for any of us to be able to assist.
          Meanwhile, hee are some reading stuff: Windows Server 2008 Hyper-V Failover Clustering Options.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
          -

Comment

Sorry for the little detail I was in a hurry, I'll try and put more out there and thanks for getting back to me.

I have Windows Data Center 2008 with Hyper-V installed. I installed 2 VM Win 2008 Ent servers. I have installed the Failover Cluster Manager on both VM's.

I have a HP EVA SAN storage device connected to the network. I know abut using iSCSI but I don't want to use that option, well my boss said there has to be a better option. How do I get my EVA storage to be shared between my 2 VM servers so I can do clustering?

We are trying to do some testing with clustering and I know it's easier to do this if I had 2 Host system instead of one host system. BUt I have one Host and 2 VM's on this host system.

Comment

Originally posted by hlobell View Post
              We are trying to do some testing with clustering and I know it's easier to do this if I had 2 Host system instead of one host system. BUt I have one Host and 2 VM's on this host system.
              So, how many Hyper-V hosts do you have? If all you got is only one, forget about clustering. With just a single Hyper-V host, you can't build hardware-level redundancy anyway.

The problem you are facing is that Windows Clustering requires shared storage. As far as I know, it is not available to the guests without iSCSI. Virtual Server provides shared SCSI, so you CAN build a Windows Clustering solution upon VS.

If you got FC SAN (and you do, with HP EVA), you are going to present the LUNs to the host systems. The guests will not be able to see any SAN LUNs, so there will not be shared storage. All the guests will be able to see are their own VHD files. iSCSI comes around the problem, as guests are able to connect to the iSCSI storage outside VM environment.

If you need a sandbox environment for trying out Windows Clustering and all you got is a single server, go with Virtual Server 2005 R2. If you got two or more servers, then you can use real hardware storage.

-vP

Comment

HyperV Guest clusters (as you have) must use iSCSI SANs
                Host clusters can use Fibrechannel or iSCSI
                (Was teaching M6416 yesterday which brought up exactly this point)
                Tom Jones
                MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Well, dude... you have everything mixed-up here, I fear.
                  If you want to test host-level clustering (that will allow you to move VMs when the host fails), you will need two hosts at least.
                  If you want to test VM-level clustering (meaning, the machine inside the VM will be clustered), the testbed you have might be enough. But this is far from being acceptable, given the options you have. Don't forget that you will need a cluster-aware application running on these two VMs for clustering to work properly.
                  If you want to test High Availability in Hyper-V, you will need:
                  - two hosts (you may try contact one of your suppliers to lend you a machine for testing purposes, if you don't want to buy one);
                  - Windows Server 2008 R2 (not the first release). Only this one has the High-Availability option, with Clustered Shared Volume;
                  - a shareable storage.

Here are some articles you may want to check:
                  - Hyper-V: Using Hyper-V and Failover Clustering
                  - Step-by-Step Guide for Testing Hyper-V and Failover Clustering
                  - Achieving High Availability for Hyper-V

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                  -

Comment

Thanks guys. What I'm doing now is testing so one Hardware decive is all I have at this time. So yes I'm trying to setup two VM's on one Host and do a SQL cluster for some testing.

Comment

Working...
                    X