Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hyper -V

Hey Guys,

New to the site. I have a deployment to role out soon and I want to use Hyp V to do it most of it.

Hear is what the customer has now.

1 2008 Windows Server with an database (Access) and Quick Books. Specs are ok. 2 250 GB drives in a RAID 1, with 2GB of ram. CPU not virtual capable.

Will be getting a new server with way better specs. Here is what I plan to do.

New Server Specs: Some of the specs

8GB ram, Windows Server 2008 R2
    64-bit CPU
    3 250GB in a RAID 5.

I want to virtualize Exchange 2010 and AD:

My plans are to, create AD server using Hyper V on the new server and deploying Exchange 2010 on another Hyper V has well. When she gets another server of similar hardware I want to copy the VHD and deploy another AD Hyper V on the second server for redundancy. But the first setup will be to create the Hyper V AD and Exchange VHD.

What would you do? Or is this setup ok?

thanks

Re: Hyper -V

Is your host server going to be a domain member? If so, you have a major issue that it will boot before the (virtual) DC on it, then start looking for a DC, which it will not find.

If your current server became a DC (maybe with a second one as a VM), you would resolve this problem
    Last edited by Ossian; 2nd June 2010, 06:48. Reason: Grammar
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Also note that as long as your CPU does not support hardware-virtualization, there is no way for you to use Hyper-V.
      Also, installing a second DC (AD server, as you call it) by copying the VHD file is not the recommended course of action (copying VHD by itself is not the correct way to acheive redundancy ...).

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
      -

Comment

But the new server presumably does support VT
        As I read it:
        Old Server -- 2Gb, no VT
        New Server -- 8Gb, presumably VT
        Future Server -- identical to new so will get copies of VHDs for backup purposes -- deal with that problem when it arises
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Re-read the post and you are probably right.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
          -

Comment

Dont know if M$ have changed their attitude towards virtualisaton of AD servers but wasnt supported last time I had a problem with mine not replicating.

Just something else to think about

Comment

Do you have a reference for that?
              AFAIK their long term policy has been "keep one physical server (ideally the fsmo holder) per domain"

I have certainly not had issues with vDCs replicating
              Tom Jones
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                I have certainly not had issues with vDCs replicating
                I have successful vDC installs too. Just make sure to disable the host time sync option and rely on external an NTP service to keep all the DC clocks in sync.

-vP

Comment

Working...
                X