Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hyper V install trouble with Linux/Unix

Good morning,

I tried to install BSD and CentOS yesterday on a Hyper V virtual slice. Every time I got to the part where it went looking for the NIC card I got stuck. Linux/Unix can't find the NIC card when installing on Hyper V. Is there a way around this? Is there only a certain version on Unix/Linux that can be installed on Hyper V.

Any advise is appreciated.

Tommy

Re: Hyper V install trouble with Linux/Unix

None of the two Linux distros you tried to install are supported Linux OSes as Hyper-V guests. Detailed list can be seen here.
    The real problem is that there is no official VM Integrated Services available for them.
    Nevertheless, there are a lot of sites around there that deal with your issue... UTFSE ...
    Just two examples: CentOS and BSD. I did not tried any of those, but I know from friends that the thing can be done.
    Good luck!

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

you could try changing the network type to legacy.. this might help ?
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Thank you very much

Comment

Set the network card to emulated instead of synthetic. This will provide the VM a DEC/Intel 21140 NIC, which is supported in about every network capable OS.

An interesting point about the emulated NIC is that if you want to use PXE boot for the VM, you must use emulated networking. The synthetic one doesn't support PXE.

-vP

Comment

Originally posted by vonPryz View Post
            Set the network card to emulated instead of synthetic. This will provide the VM a DEC/Intel 21140 NIC, which is supported in about every network capable OS.

An interesting point about the emulated NIC is that if you want to use PXE boot for the VM, you must use emulated networking. The synthetic one doesn't support PXE.

-vP
            Emulated is what I meant by legacy
            Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
              Emulated is what I meant by legacy
              ... and this is the recommendation in the BSD link I gave earlier

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
              -

Comment

Working...
              X