Hyper-V Network Settings with single NIC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hyper-V Network Settings with single NIC

I have setup Hyper-V on a 2008 R2 machine.
    My question is can I use Hyper-V with single NIC on the host system?

On host machine I have enabled only one NIC and during installation of Hyper-V role, I have used that NIC as external network switch. I have created a virtual machine (2003 server) and added a network adapter by selecting Add Hardware--> Network Adapter--> Selected the Network created during the Hyper-V installation role. Mac Address Dynamic, Virtual LAN is not selected.
    My virtual machine boots fine but I cannot find the network card on this virtual machine. What is wrong with my setup and how can I assign network card to my virtual machine?
    Last edited by avilt; 18th May 2010, 03:44.

Re: Hyper-V Network Settings with single NIC

You can use HV with one NiC -- no particular issues that I have noticed

Have you installed / updated the VM Additions on the guest machine?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

What exactly is the problem?
      Is the 2003 Server OS already installed (meaning, are you trying to install OS from network, and the setup program does not recognize the network card)?
      You do not see the NIC from inside the 2003 machine, or from the 2008R2 host?
      If it's from inside 2003, what type of NIC do you have there? Synthetic or legacy?

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
      -

Comment

I do not see the NIC from inside the 2003 machine and the problem was resolved after installing the integrated services.

How can I clone the Virtual machine in Hyper-V?

Comment

If you're using Hyper-V Manager, best thing will be to do it as you would do any physical machine:
          1) Sysprep it
          2) Shut it down
          3) Copy the VHD file (be sure there are no snapshots for this machine!)
          4) Turn on the original machine, set it up.
          5) Create a new machine based on the copied VHD file.

If you want to create another machine in the future, based on the same VHD, then copy it twice, before you turn the new one on.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
          -

Comment

Thanks Sorinso, I know it is reasonably obvious but I hadnt considered doing that, I always just build the machine from scratch.

I assume I just use the generalise option.

Comment

Working...
            X