X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some advice on Hyper-V

Hello

I'm going to implement Hyper-V and i have 2 issues to resolve:

1) I have two servers which will be the hosts, each one with 64GB of RAM and internal 72GB disk.
    since everyone & windows auto config set the swap file to about X1.5 of the installed RAM so in my case all the disk will be for the swap file ?!?!
    What are the SWAP file requirements for host machines running 2008 ent. R2 64bit with RAM larger then 48GB ?? (I didnt found any direct articles from MS about that specific issue).

2) Since im going to config a cluster with 2 R2 hosts for live migration, is CSV the only why to implement that configuration ?

Thank you for any replies.

Re: Some advices on Hyper-V

Originally posted by avi_ei View Post
    Hello

I'm going to implement Hyper-V and i have 2 issues to resolve:

1) I have two servers which will be the hosts, each one with 64GB of RAM and internal 72GB disk.
    since everyone & windows auto config set the swap file to about X1.5 of the installed RAM so in my case all the disk will be for the swap file ?!?!
    What are the SWAP file requirements for host machines running 2008 ent. R2 64bit with RAM larger then 48GB ?? (I didnt found any direct articles from MS about that specific issue).
    The rule that the swap file is 1.5 times the RAM stops at RAM = 4GB. Meaning, when you have RAM more than 4GB, the OS will manage its swap file alone, and it will not be 1.5 times the RAM amount. So, the answer to your first question is "No, the swap file will not be 96GB in size. " Leave the OS to do the job.
    Originally posted by avi_ei View Post
    2) Since im going to config a cluster with 2 R2 hosts for live migration, is CSV the only why to implement that configuration ?

Thank you for any replies.
    AFAIK, the use of CSV is the only way to implement Live Migration with 2008R2-based Hyper-V. Why do you ask? Do you have something else in mind?

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

Re: Some advice on Hyper-V

as a side point - you didn't mention a shared disk backend anyway - you stated your two servers each have a 72GB drive.

for live migration, you need shared disk backend - either an ISCSI or FC SAN usually.
      Something like a Dell MD3000 with HA modules, and the correct multi-pathing drivers on the servers will work..
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Hello again

Well, i've installed today the first host - and guess what ? the page file is configured as 96GB.

I'll search for more answers on that issue and recommendations.

Thanks for any more suggestions.

Comment

is the page file actually _using_ 96GB, or is that just the maximum configured size?
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
            is the page file actually _using_ 96GB
            Hard to believe, on 72GB disks

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
            -

Comment

If anyone else is interested, the following reference architecture is what I was talking about.

I have been involved in a project where we setup the 'medium' size, or parts of it..

shared md3000 backend, 2xR610s, multiple NICs

http://i.dell.com/sites/content/busi...cture_v1.0.pdf

Comment

Well,

Since i saw whats going on, i've made the adjusments to boot the server from the storage and gave it plenty of disk space.

After installing the OS i've checked and it's confirmed - the page file is adjusted to X1.5 of the total RAM, and it's actually taking all that space from the disk.

I wonder, isn't there any article or best practice about that issue ? (i know i've searchedfor one and didn't found anything related).

The only thing i've found is that: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949052 that isn't really relevant to my issue.

Thanks a lot

Comment

Working...
                X