Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VM on pause

Hi,

We have a Windows 2008 hypervisor running. We created separate partitions for each vm on the hypervisor. We've seen it if one vm ran out of disk spac, all vms are paused? Is there a setting we can configure to prevent that from happening?

Thanks.

Re: VM on pause

Odd.
    Only those machine who have VHDs residing on the out-of-space partition should enter the Pause state. Are you sure that the machines are separated?

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

Originally posted by jonab View Post
      one vm ran out of disk spac, all vms are paused? Is there a setting we can configure to prevent that from happening?
      You are likely to use dynamically expanding hard disks for all the guest computers, as this is the default setup. I guess you are running out of host disk space, so Hyper-V is unable to expand any of the VHD files and will therefore pause all the guests. I've seen this happened a few times in production environment.

Put some of the VHD files into another a drive, so that filling one up won't stop all guests. Or use static VHD files and put up some storage space monitoring too.

-vP

Comment

Originally posted by vonPryz View Post
        You are likely to use dynamically expanding hard disks for all the guest computers, as this is the default setup. I guess you are running out of host disk space, so Hyper-V is unable to expand any of the VHD files and will therefore pause all the guests. I've seen this happened a few times in production environment.

Put some of the VHD files into another a drive, so that filling one up won't stop all guests. Or use static VHD files and put up some storage space monitoring too.

-vP

What I actually meant to say is that vms are on separate LUNs, not one LUN with multiple partitions. All vms that are on separate LUNs paused when one vm from an individual LUN took up all the disk space.

Comment

Is is possible your HyperV server C: partition is running low on space?

Comment

Originally posted by Scuba.Steve.za View Post
            Is is possible your HyperV server C: partition is running low on space?
            Good question. C: partition has plenty of disk space but that got me thinking. Under Hyper-V settings\Virtual Machines, I have the setting pointed to the LUN that ran out of disk space. Could it be the reason all the vm were paused even though all VM are on separate LUN but the LUN that the setting is pointed to ran out of disk space?

Comment

Originally posted by jonab View Post
              Good question. C: partition has plenty of disk space but that got me thinking. Under Hyper-V settings\Virtual Machines, I have the setting pointed to the LUN that ran out of disk space. Could it be the reason all the vm were paused even though all VM are on separate LUN but the LUN that the setting is pointed to ran out of disk space?

Which setting you referring to?

Comment

Originally posted by Scuba.Steve.za View Post
                Which setting you referring to?
                Its the path to default folder to store virtual machines configuration files under Hyper-V Settings \ Virtual Machines.

Comment

Working...
                X