Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backing up Hyper-v for DR solution

Hi Guys.

I am looking at going the Hyper -V R2 route. I will be using 2 Dell Power Edge R710 with Xeon 5600 processors *2 and 100 Gb Ram. Both servers will be connecting to a SAN - PowerVault MD3000 from Dell. They will be clustered for fail over purposes.

Now for DR solution to work I would like to look at a continuous backup solution - At present we are using storage craft for our Servers (not in a Hyper V solution) We are getting Snap Shots every hour and management are happy with an hour loss.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Re: Backing up Hyper-v for DR solution

Don't StorageCraft have a HyperV solution?
    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    http://www.wintra.co.il/
    sigpic
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Snapshots are not intended as a backup method and shouldn't be used as one.

Consider backing up the VM contents via traditional backup methods.

-vP

Comment

I have found that as long as vss is installed I can use standard xcopy commands to copy the VHD files directly from the Hyperv hosts to a backup server.

Then if needed I can create new machines and mount those drives successfully.

Comment

Originally posted by g7rpo View Post
          I have found that as long as vss is installed I can use standard xcopy commands to copy the VHD files directly from the Hyperv hosts to a backup server.
          Wouldn't booting up such a virtual machine give you state like the VM had just gone through power cycle? Uncommitted transactions and such would be around, so apps like databases would need to run recovering.

-vP

Comment

Hi Guys.

Thanks for the repsonses

- I meant the snapshots were incremental backups every hour. Sorry.

As for copying the VHD file across once VSS is installed I have heard that this would cause a brief pause in the Hyper V machine.

Yes we will be backing up the data via LTO4 and Backup exec 2010 / 12.5 Depends what is current when we install.

Comment

do standard file/app level backups using backup exec fr EACH guest server.
              that way all your transaction logs etc, get done properly.

if you ALSO want to, you could do regular snapshots, might provide a slightly quicker restoration...
              Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
              X