Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hyper-V over VPN Issues

Hi guys/gals,

Having some issues with Hyper-V machines and resources from them not being avialable to users at remote end points of a VPN.

First of all users from different subnets cannot connect via Remote Desktop to Hyper-V clients I have created. I believe this is due to firewall rules limiting access to users only to the subnet where the server lives, I've been unable to find the group policy object which controls this setting.

Secondly I'm sharing a drive from a virtual database file server running Server 2003 the problem is that the mapped drive is not available to users on other subnets, trying to map the drive using IP address\share or computername\share doesn't work. Browsing for it doesn't work either the reason for this I am unsure of, something to do with NETBIOS or DNS.

Any pointers that you could give me?

Regards,

Will

Re: Hyper-V over VPN Issues

The drive mapping failure isn't a DNS issue if browsing by IP address also fails.

Can you tell us a bit more about your environment e.g. what firewalls are in place, what the VPNs terminate on etc?
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Will_3rd View Post
      First of all users from different subnets cannot connect via Remote Desktop to Hyper-V clients I have created. I believe this is due to firewall rules limiting access to users only to the subnet where the server lives [..]

the mapped drive is not available to users on other subnets, trying to map the drive using IP address\share or computername\share doesn't work.[..]
      To me this sounds like a routing issue. Please verify your routing tables on your layer 3 devices.
      Marcel
      Technical Consultant
      Netherlands
      http://www.phetios.com
      http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
      "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
      "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Originally posted by cruachan View Post
        Can you tell us a bit more about your environment e.g. what firewalls are in place, what the VPNs terminate on etc?
        Setup is as follows:

SBS 2008 Server with a Windows Firewall --> Netgear DGFV338 with a firewall --> IPSec VPN to either a DGFV338 at one VPN endpoint or to a DG834G at the second VPN endpoint (both have firewalls) --> Windows XP/7 Client Machines with Firewalls.

Originally posted by Dumber View Post
        To me this sounds like a routing issue. Please verify your routing tables on your layer 3 devices.
        Will have a look at routing tables on Netgear routers.

Comment

Working...
        X