No announcement yet.

Windows 2000 SP4 under Hyper-V R2

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 2000 SP4 under Hyper-V R2

This might seem like a Windows 2000 question, but I think only a Hyper-V'er will know the answer!

I got fired up by Ben Armstrong's blog article on the advantages of running Windows Deployment Services on a Hyper-V VM (

As a result I'm trying to install Windows 2000 Professional in order to sysprep it and put the image into WDS. So far so good.

I installed Win2K and a legacy network adapter,
    Installed SP4 and Integration Services
    and then ran Windows Update to get post-SP4 updates (about 40 updates)

On the reboot I get a blue screen stop, as follows:
    Stop 0x000000CE (0xEB440000,0x00000000,0x8045A979,0x00000000)
    Driver_Unload_Without_Cancelling_Pending_Operation s

Now this is documented in KB976488 which suggests:
    "To work around this problem, do not install Integration Services. Or, install Integration Services after you run all the updates."

I guess I could start again (and I know I should have taken a snapshot, but...), but does anyone know either:

1. Can I "uninstall" or "remove" Integration Services for the purpose of getting through Windows Update?
    2. Which update is likely to cause the problem - in whcih case I could leave it out and have the clone machine install it.

Thanks in advance if you can add some insight.

Re: Windows 2000 SP4 under Hyper-V R2

Integration Services will show up in Add/Remove Programs, as any other piece of software installed on the server. So, uninstalling should not be difficult. But, since I never did that, cannot tell you what the implications of this will be. This is because Integration Services not only allow you to move the mouse easily out of the VM's window, but also fulfill additional tasks. Take a look at these two articles for more info:
    - Windows Server 2008 Hyper-V Integration Services
    - Understanding and Installing Hyper-V Integration Services
    I would not tamper with the updates. Being so old, this OS is fragile enough ...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

Thank you so much.
      I had completely forgotten to look in Add/Remove Programs! I was thinking only hardware drivers and looking for uninstall in Device Manager that I overlooked this method.

Now all is good. Once I followed your advice and was able to uninstall Integration Services I could indeed apply all Windows Update patches (there were many and many restarts). KB976488 is absolutely correct and I could now add "if you've installed Integration Services you can uninstall them while you apply Windows Updates and re-install them afterwards".

Right now I have almost finished the updates. It's not especially comfortable to use the VM without integration services but my purpose at this stage is just to build a working OS with as many updates as possible before capturing it as an install image to put into WDS. I'm sure I will now succeed.

When I come to use the image I can choose to install Integration Services if I install to a VM or appropriate drivers if I install to a physical machine.

Thanks also for the links. Up to now I haven't needed to know much about Integration Services - they just worked! But I will read more - with interest in the next few days. Especially since I want to experiment with capturing more OS's for WDS.
      Last edited by peterp; 19th March 2010, 01:36.

Cool, I am glad my post helped

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

But if the virtual machine is blue screening, how do you remove the integration services from within it? I've got a fresh w2ksp4 instance set up, using the integration, and promoted to a domain controller. Then updated and BLAM, blue screen. How do I untangle this and get my virtual machine back? Otherwise I have to go fix the domain to remote the DC too. Ugh.

Do you have enough time to press F8 for safe mode?
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

[deleted, duplicate post due to browser reloading]
              Last edited by wkearney99; 16th July 2010, 22:33.

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                Do you have enough time to press F8 for safe mode?
                Yes, I can get into safe mode. I've tried booting into safe mode, no luck. Same problem, crashes 0x00000050 with vmstorfl.sys. Same thing with safe mode with networking, safe mode with command prompt, vga mode, last known good and directory services restore mode. All of them BSOD in the same manner.

It did reboot a few times successfully before I'd let it run updates. So I've reason to believe the instance was configured properly (thus the kb article applies).

I can boot from the CD and get to a command prompt. I tried using that. I jumped into \winnt\system32\drivers and renamed vmstorfl.sys but that just made it BSOD with a slightly different message. I also tried doing a manual repair and that had no effect.

So is there some place from within the CD-booted cmd prompt that I could edit to disable the integration services problems?

I also used the console mode to disable the vmic services (vmicheartbeat, vmickvpexchange, vmicshutdown, vmictimesync) and that did not change anything, same blue screen.
                Last edited by wkearney99; 16th July 2010, 22:47.

At the moment I'm building another w2ksp4 VM. With luck I'll be able to use that to reach into the corrupted VM (mounted as another drive) and excise enough of the problem to get it booted again.

Regardless of whether that works or not I still need a working w2ksp4 instance. At least this time I'll know to snapshot it a few times (and copy the VHD) before letting the updates make a mess again.

Meanwhile tips on untangling the broken one are certainly welcome...

Finally got a new w2ksp4 instance built. Ran all the updates (except for 922582) while using the legacy network adapter and no integration services. Went fine. Snapshots at each major step. Disabled autoupdates and loaded integration services and it's still working fine. Good so far.

Does anyone have ideas on how to extract the integration services from the setup? I've got the drive mounted and can get into the registry files on it.