Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hyper-V R2: Build a remote site in case of failure

Hi everybody,

I didn't find a more accurate title for this topic, so i apologize if it didn't really reflect what i'm going to write now.

In case of using traditionnal servers and a SAN, a group of servers will be on site A, another group on site B and in the middle, the SAN. In that particular case, i can put the Quorum and the CSV disk on the SAN and build a Hyper-V R2 cluster easily .. hummm .. more or less easily ... I know that it's not a full automatic failover system (users switchs, xDSL line ...) but the main system (the virtual servers) will be in a secure environment.

Therefore, on site A I want to configure a bladeCenter S with Hyper-V R2. The Blade had a storage system build-in (SAS disks, RAID system ...). I certainly install Hyper-V R2 in a cluster mode so i'll get the live migration plus the protection against the failure of a blade (4 or 6 blade in the cluster).

On site B I want to put a second BladeCenter S to securely set my installation. On the remote site (fiber link), only a DNS will be powered up all the time (i figure out it's a security for me).

In the case of using BladeCenter S architecture (ans that's what I had to install), the BladeCenter on site A will have the Quorum and the CSV disk located in the blade (on the internal SAS disks). It' an autonom and fully functionnal system by itself.

On site B, as I wrote upper line, only a DNS will be powered all time.

Now the question: how can I maintain a copy of the VMs from site A to site B, startable and ready to start copies of course. . I do not want any virtual machine running on the other site EXCEPT if the main site fail.
    Quick and/or live migration won't work, and I can't imagine how to made the VMs copies. Does SCDPM do the right thing ? Did someone made a similar installation ?

Thank's for the answer.

Regards,

Thierry

Re: Hyper-V R2: Build a remote site in case of failure

Hmmm...
    Pretty complicated set-up you've got yourself there ...
    I don't think DPM will save the day there, is not its purpose. You will need a way to synchronize the two storages in the two locations. HP bought some time ago a company called Lefthand, that has a solution exactly for your set-up. I would contact an HP representative an let them assist you.
    HTH...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

Sorinso,

yeah .. and i think i will be a complete pain to set it. SCDPM in an awfull software !!

An example, saving the system state takes 15 GB on the storage disk ... and 10 GB on the main system disk (i had to increase the size of my CHD and there extend the size of my partition disk. the exchange CAS server had now a 40 GB C: disk !!). Why ?? i don't know

I'll get information if i can made this system working

Regards,

Thierry

Comment

Good luck, Thierry!

It will be nice of you to let us know how did you solved the problem ...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -

Comment

Working...
        X