Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VM licenses

Hi All,
    I have one license for Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard Edition and volume licenses for Windows Server 2003 R2 Std Edition.
    I installed 2k8 server and configured Hyper-V for VM host.
    And I want to install 2k3 servers (Total 3) as VM guest on 2k8 server.
    What I understand is that I need to buy license if I want to install VM guest more than one.
    But when I tried to install additional VM guest, it didn't show any error message and it works fine.
    So anyone can help me explain about this license issue.

Thanks In Advanced,
    Thu Ya

Re: VM licenses

Some MS licensing is on an "honour" basis so there is nothing to stop you abusing it
    In your case, you are installnig the VMs under your VLK so it is legal (assuming you have enough licenses
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Re: VM licenses

You are OK - and actually you still have one Server 2008 R2 license left over as it allows one host and one guest license.
      TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
      http://www.wintra.co.il/
      sigpic
      Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
      X