Needed to extend drive on child but extended on Host

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Needed to extend drive on child but extended on Host

I messed up. I was trying to add space to a quickly growing virtual drive on the child and in my hurry, extended a drive on the Host instead. The drive I extended is the drive the vms are on. It is a critical machine and I'm just learning Hyper-V. I don't want to risk messing things up. Other than asking for another slice of SAN space, what can I do?

I've attached screen shots to help explain.

Is there a safe way to undo what I've done?
    Attached Files

Re: Needed to extend drive on child but extended on Host

Please attach pictures as jpgs or some other graphics format
    I do not want to risk opening an file that may contain macro viruses
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

What exactly you tried to do? And what you did? How did you expand the voluime?
      What do you mean by "quickly growing virtual drive"? Is it the VHD file itself growing to fast? And it takes up all the space on the host? Or is it in the virtual machine itself not enough disk space? Is it a dynamic disk, or a fixed one?
      Please post the full situation, so we'll know how's best to solve the issue.
      Expanding a disk in a physical server might be different fom doing the same for a virtual one.
      What tools do you use for managing the Hyper-V? Is it the Hyper-V Manager? Or SCVMM?
      Last edited by sorinso; 10th February 2010, 13:37.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
      -

Comment

What I was attempting to do:
        Extend a drive on the virtual machine.

What I did:
        Extended a drive on the Host.

What I mean by the quickly growing virtual drive is: The data, placed there by the users, is growing rapidly creating a need for the virtual drive to expand to keep up with it. It is currently over 1TB and I was attempting to add another 300GB.

The drives are dynamic and virtual, actually space on our SAN. I use Hyper-V manager to manage the virtual machines.

My question is: I need to take back that 300GB slice of virtual drive from the Host. I know I can shrink a volume but I have never done it and since it is a production machine and I do not want to mess it up, should I even attempt to shrink the volume? I don't have a test machine to try this on so I'm wondering if anyone else has tried this.

Comment

Working...
        X