Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many physical Nics do i need?

Hi guys,
    I just completed my windows 2008 R2 installation. Now its time to play with Hyper-V.

I have 2 guests that I want to run on hyper-v. The Dell Server has 2 NICS.
    Can I run the Hyper-V host on 1 nic and the other 2 guests on the other NIC?

Thanks for your help!

Brad Nelson

Re: How many physical Nics do i need?

With 2 physical NICs, use one for the Virtual Network (External) and connect all VMs that need external access to it. The other NIC should be left free for the host.
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

if you dont plan to access to other segment with the spare card, rather team team them up, and use both for better performance over the network.

the external is used for the guests, and host aswell.

Comment

I'm fairly sure best practice for HyperV would be to leave the guests on a separate interface to the console.

I'm definitely sure that the above is recommended best practice for ESX.
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

i think you're right.

still, i use a teamed up configuration also for hyperv, without any issues, I think it is good selection for a small environment.

However, I would like to know, why to separate the two connections?

Comment

security, managability, availability.

For indstance - if you have a clustered HA ESX environment, it may use the srevice console port to do live migrations.. you don't want to be live migrating a virtual machine across the network interface that other machines are actively using...

of course.. if you were HA clustering, you'd have a separate port specific for migrations :P

you should also normally keep your iscsi stuff off the console ports..
            Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
            X