Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Licensing (again)

This issue make me mad !
    every time we change some microsoft product I spend more days readding about licensing then i spend about my needs

So we have 2003 standard servers
    we want to change into virtualization

We understand that Hyper-v is free ,and that we can use our w2k2003 licenses .We don't want to buy 2008 cals at this time.

now when we almost decide what to buy somone told me that If we don't have 2003 enterprise we will be unable to make a cluster ?

YES Confused
    Thank you

Re: Licensing (again)

Do you need to make a clutser using MSCS? If so, then yes you need Enterprise Edition. Standard Edition does not have the components for MSCS.

Comment

thank you
      what can of cluster we can use with 2003 stdr?
      An application cluster?

Comment

There's no licensing issue here, but a capabilities one.
        Take a look at these two articles for more info on the different Windows Server 2003 versions and their capabilities:
        - Compare the Editions of Windows Server 2003 - functional list
        - Comparison of Windows Server 2003 Editions - a bit more detailed list.
        One important note you should know regarding Hyper-V virtualization licensing:
        With Standard edition, you get one free virtual machine. With Enterprise edition, you get four free virtual machines. With DataCenter, unlimited number of virtual machines.
        Limitations:
        - the parent partition (or the host OS) cannot hold any other role but Hyper-V. You cannot use it as anything else;
        - the version of the operating system in the virtual machines cannot be greater than the host (or the parent partition, if you're using Hyper-V server). Meaning, if you use standard edition as host, you can only install Standard editions in the VMs. With Enterprise edition, you can install both Standard and Enterprise. With DataCenter, all three.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -

Comment

Now I have anothers news

Microsoft have a HYPER -V MOTION is some free edition
          for this purpose.
          We understand that is for some priod of time ,and you can make clusters servers at this edition.
          Thank you again

Comment

I really cannot understand what are you talking about...
            Microsoft does not have V-Motion, since this is a term VMWare use. Microsoft implemented Live Migration (the ability of moving a virtual machine form host to host on the fly, without interruption) in their last Hyper-V R2 version, that was launched only two weeks ago.
            As in the previous version, the baremetal hypervisor, called Windows Hyper-V Server 2008 is free. But you will need an OS license for the parent partition (the virtual machine that runs the show) anyway. And you cannot use your existing 2003 licenses for that. You can use them for VMs, but not for the parent partition. Working with Hyper-V means 64-bit Windows Server 2008. Period.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
            -

Comment

Working...
            X