No announcement yet.

Solving a blue screen error after migrating from Virtual server 2005 to Hyper-V

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solving a blue screen error after migrating from Virtual server 2005 to Hyper-V

Hie,

I've recently added a new Windows Server 2008 machine with Hyper-V at my work place, It was intended to replace the old Windows Server 2003 with Virtual Server 2005.

I've encountered some problems trying to manual migrate the old guest O.S. from Virtual Server 2005 to Hyper-V and i would like to talk bout one specific for all of you who have this issue also.

The problem is that i got a "Blues screen of death" after a few seconds when starting an imported guest OS from Hyper-V.
    It happened when i imported a guest OS that has the Virtual Machine Additions installed on it. to solve the problem i simply needed to uninstall the Virtual Machine Additions from the guest OS (from add/remove programs) and commit undo disks prior to migrating it.

Hope it helps any one.

Re: Solving a blue screen error after migrating from Virtual server 2005 to Hyper-V

Thank you for your post.
    Nonetheless, if you would follow Microsoft's article Virtual Machine Migration Guide: How To Migrate from Virtual Server to Hyper-V, you would have seen that uninstalling the VM Additions is one of the necessary steps.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

Re: Solving a blue screen error after migrating from Virtual server 2005 to Hyper-V

Hie,

yes I've seen that, but it's a recommendation and in my personal experience it was a must.
      Without uninstalling the VM Additions prior to copying the VHD file, it was impossible to do the migration and i didn't see that in Microsoft's article.
      I didn't find any documentation on a blue screen error due to the presence of the VM Additions on the migrated OS at that time.

Comment

I find it rather odd that you find such official articles as a "recommendation". This is the way the company that released both products (Virtual Server and Hyper-V) and the OS itself says it should be done. As such, it is compulsory, if you want the process and the final product to get support from the same company. And this is not something related to Microsoft only, I met these requirements form other vendors as well.
        Anyway, in the best case, you would get an error message while trying to install the Integration Services. In the worst case, like in your case, the moved VHD file is unusable.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -

Comment

Hie,
          from Virtual Machine Migration Guide: How To Migrate from Virtual Server to Hyper-V:

"3.Uninstall Virtual Machine Additions. Hyper-V integration services replace the Virtual Machine Additions component used in Virtual Server. To install Hyper-V integration services, you must first remove Virtual Machine Additions. We recommend that you remove Virtual Machine Additions before migrating the virtual machine."

I don't know about you, but in my dictionary, "WE RECOMMEND" doesn't mean "IT SHOULD BE DONE".

The guide say "
          you must first remove Virtual Machine Additions" to be able to install Hyper-V integration services on the guest OS after the migration.

I don't have a problem with MS guide, i simply mentioned that in case some one got a blue screen error, like i had while doing the migration, in my case it's because i didn't follow the "RECOMMENDED/MUST" process of migration and there might be a worst problem related to the uninstall of VM Additions, than those described in the guide .
          The process of preparing the guest OS for migration and copying the large VHD file take a lot of time and can be frustrating when you have a problem like i had.
          I wrote it as a service for those how are in a dead end and don't understand "MS language" the way you do, and if some one Googles "...migration...blue screen..." he could find this.
          My post doesn't contradict Microsoft's guide.

Hope it helps some one.

Comment

Uninstall the VM Additions, end of story. If the manufacturer of both products says "we recommend", there's a good chance it's because they know it'll fail otherwise, but they can't admit as much as it's their own software.

It only takes 30 seconds and a reboot to uninstall them.

Jim

Comment

Am I missing the blindingly obvious here?
              Follow Microsofts recommended best practice and everything works
              Dont follow it and everything goes pear shaped

And we manage to spend a week discussing the meaning of "recommend"?
              I'm sure this has been a well known issue since well before Microsoft bought VPC -- upgrade the virtualisor means you have to upgrade the additions
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
              X