Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hyper-V Network Issue

Hello everyone,

This is my first time implementing a Hyper V environment. I am running AD Domain Services and DHCP on the host (parent) machine, i set up the Hyper-V role. I can get into the child partition but when i do the network binding im failing miserably.

So our host has 2 NIC's.

Nic1 is the Internet coming and is configured with static ips.
    Nic2 i used the virtual switch only checked off so that the child parition can connect.

Child parition has one area connection that i conifgured with static ips again. but the child can not see anything or ping the parent, nor join the domain.

Nic1
    ip 192.168.2.5
    subnet 255.255.255.0
    gateway 192.168.2.1
    dns1 127.0.0.1

Nic2 (on childs side)
    ip 192.168.2.10
    subnet 255.255.255.0
    gateway
    dns1 192.168.2.5

Child is get a 169 ip address, anyone got any suggesitons why it is not working?

By the way all firewall settings are of.

Re: Hyper-V Network Issue

Hi,

I'm getting much the same (http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=40354) ... I think it's a 2008 issue rather than Hyper V.

Kyu
    J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
    The Abyssal Void War: Stars, Hide Your Fires

Comment

When you install Hyper-V you should end up with a third NIC, which is virtual.

I have two NICs, though I only use one. Installing Hyper-V gave me a third.

I then have several VMs, all are DHCP and all have internet access. 1

If you look at the attachment:

Hyper-V (Bottom) is the one with the "Virtual Switch Network Protocol" ticked. It has no IP address.

Hyper-V Virtual has everything EXCEPT "Virtual Switch Network Protocol" ticked. It has 192.168.1.21

Main (Top) has everything EXCEPT "Virtual Switch Network Protocol" ticked. It has 192.168.1.20.

Only "Main (Top)" has a physical network cable attached; my other NIC (on the bottom) is uplugged.

Jim
      Attached Files
      Last edited by jimwillsher; 26th September 2009, 21:55. Reason: Add second attachment, showing Hyper-V Network Manager screen

Comment

What version of 2008 are you using?
        You're talking about "Hyper-V role"' but then you mention "child partition", concept that is used with Hyper-V Server.
        Anyway, you should disable TCP/IP on NIC2 and leave only "Microsoft Virtual Network Switch Protocol" binded to this NIC. You might need to disable additional components, like Client for Microsoft Networks, that depends on TCP/IP.
        Try it and let us know the outcome.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -

Comment

I have two comments on your setup. I thought you should not run any other roles on the Hyper-V parent partition or at least its not recommended. In regards of networking on Hyper-V you might want to check the post at

MS Hyper-V Virtual Networks Configuration & Hyper-V Server settings.

I hope that help,
          Erick
          IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Guru

Comment

Working...
          X