booting from SCSI

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• booting from SCSI

I haven't played much with Hyper-V untill a few weeks. This was mainly because Hyper-V had (has) its shortcommings in comparrison to Vmware and Xenserver. But decided to give it a try with the new R2 version.

I know in the origional release Hyper-V did not support booting from a virtual SCSI drive. Now, i do not know what the current status is regarding this issue (that's why i am asking here), but think that it would be supported by now. yet when i create a new virtual machine, it will not install the OS on a SCSI disk.

When i configure the virtual machine with a SCSI disk the disk apears offline in the installation wizzard. This does not happen when using a IDE disk.

is it supported?
    [Powershell]
    Start-DayDream
    Set-Location Malibu Beach
    Get-Drink
    Lay-Back
    Start-Sleep
    Wake-Up!
    Resume-Service
    Write-Warning
    [/Powershell]

BLOG: Therealshrimp.blogspot.com

Re: booting from SCSI

Google suggests no.

While it's talking about Hyper-V rather than R2, this explains why: http://blogs.technet.com/jhoward/arc...alization.aspx

[quote=As a “synthetic” device, it is not currently possible to boot directly from it until an operating system is available with a loader capable of reading from the drives/device[/quote]
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by Killerbe View Post
      I haven't played much with Hyper-V untill a few weeks. This was mainly because Hyper-V had (has) its shortcommings in comparrison to Vmware and Xenserver. But decided to give it a try with the new R2 version.

I know in the origional release Hyper-V did not support booting from a virtual SCSI drive. Now, i do not know what the current status is regarding this issue (that's why i am asking here), but think that it would be supported by now. yet when i create a new virtual machine, it will not install the OS on a SCSI disk.

When i configure the virtual machine with a SCSI disk the disk apears offline in the installation wizzard. This does not happen when using a IDE disk.

is it supported?
      Hyper-V 2 still doesn't support booting from the virtual SCSI drive. Not sure whether this would work, but just a thought, though I may have got the worng idea. Is it is a physical SCSI HDD you want to boot from, have you looked into configuring it as a pass through disk and mapping it to the virtual machine as a virtual IDE device? Not sure whether it would work or whether I have read your requirements appropriately.

Comment

Strange that Microsoft does not manage to support SCSI disks in the newest releases of hyper-V.

Nevertheless, i am running in all sorts of problems regarding Hyper-V and MSSCVMM.

I managed to move a virtual machine from vmware server (1.0) to Hyper-V without any issue's only to discover that the virtualized machine is unable to communicate on certain port (which it should and always did).

I have verified that the Windows Firewall on the Hyper-V host is disabled, and the virtual machine is still running Windows Server 2003. I have a dedicated GBps nic configured for the virtual machine network. The virtual machine is reachable from the LAN.

MSSCVMM (R2) is also giving a lot of issue.
        Changing VM configuration often failes, in which i have to edit the virtual machine settings through the Hyper-V console.

Creating templates do not seem to work from MSSCVMM, it failes every time and tells me to wait a few moments and try again...

Never saw these isue's working with VMwware ESX and Citrix Xen server.
        [Powershell]
        Start-DayDream
        Get-Drink
        Lay-Back
        Start-Sleep
        Wake-Up!
        Resume-Service
        Write-Warning
        [/Powershell]

Comment

SCSI disks are supported I believe. You can't boot off a virtual SCSI device.

Comment

Yes they are supported, but you can't use them as boot disks.

But does it make a difference in a virtual environment?
            Disks cannot be faster as the technology available on the virtual infrastructure host. But if you are using SCSI disks or fiber attached disks, and you can only asign IDE disks to you operating system is performance not inpacted due to shortcommings in Hyper-V?
            [Powershell]
            Start-DayDream
            Get-Drink
            Lay-Back
            Start-Sleep
            Wake-Up!
            Resume-Service
            Write-Warning
            [/Powershell]

Comment

Well last night i discovered why certain ports where blocked on the virtual machine, and i have to admit that it was not caused by any Microsoft product.
              So that part is working.

Nevertheless is managing the Hyper-V with MSSCVMM a daunting task.
              [Powershell]
              Start-DayDream
              Get-Drink
              Lay-Back
              Start-Sleep
              Wake-Up!
              Resume-Service
              Write-Warning
              [/Powershell]

Comment

I have not used the product much but the features it gives can be benificial. If you are wanting to take advantage of clustering and hosting VHDs on a SAN, you ideally need to be using it.

I wouldn't say it's a daunting task. It's like with anything, as you gain more experience with it, you'll wonder why you never used it before.

I have seen it used at a Technet Hyper-V seminar as well and was very impressed.

Comment

An update on the story:

HYPER-V:
                  Single server:
                  My origonal set-up was Windows Server 2008 R2 with Hyper-V (RC0)

SCVMM
                  Single Server
                  Windows Server 2008 R2 (RC0)
                  SCVMM 2008 RTM

Upgraded SCVMM 2008 RTM to R2 (RC0) about two weeks ago, and the environment is a lot more reliable.
                  No more problems in managing the VM's on the Hyper-V from the SCVMM.
                  [Powershell]
                  Start-DayDream
                  Get-Drink
                  Lay-Back
                  Start-Sleep
                  Wake-Up!
                  Resume-Service
                  Write-Warning
                  [/Powershell]

Comment