Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Implementing Hyper-V

Hi Folks,

I'm are trying to implement our system with Hyper-V, this would be my first attempt to virtualization. I've been reading a lot of article in the past month, and still not sure to best configure our current system. Hope to hear a lot of advices from you.

What we have now,

Total Users of about 35.
    2x IBM System X 3650M2 > 2 x QC E5504 CPU, 18GB ram
    1x IBM System X 3650M2 > 1x QC E5504 CPU, 12 GB ram
    1x IBM System X 346 > old server that we used for keeping our data.

All the 3 IBM 3650M2 are what I need to setup for a completely new system to host everything we need. That would be running SQL 2005 database, Domain Controller, Software Applications (SAP SBO, MS Office, etc), Sophos Anti Virus Management Console, Mdaemon Mail Server.

Currently, this is what I have in mind,

Server #1
    The first 2 IBM with its exact configuration will be use for clustering using MS Sever 2008 enterprise R2. It will have 3 VMs as follows,
    VM1 > Hosting SQL database
    VM2 > Hosing all application softwares (Ms Office, ERP software). About 12 users will access this apps using remote desktop.
    VM3 > Domain Controller related

Storage (only have 2 HDs at the moment)
    2 x SAS in Raid 1 for Host OS and 6x SAS in Raid 10 for those 3 VMs.

Server #2
    The other IBM with Single QuadCore will use WS 2008 Standard that we already have a copy. Hosting only one VM for both Anti Virus Software and Mdaemon Mail Server.

Storage (only have 2 HDs at the moment)
    2 x SAS in Raid 1 for Host, 2 x SAS in Raid 1 for VM.

We can upgrade the RAM and number of drives if needed, but SAN is out of our budget and needs.

Would above configuration is most effective based on what we need for the servers that we have available? Am I on the right direction or I completely lost it ?

Thank you for your feedback

Re: Implementing Hyper-V

Don't forget to keep a physical DC running. Plus as a bonus that'd then give you two DCs for performance and redundancy.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
      Don't forget to keep a physical DC running. Plus as a bonus that'd then give you two DCs for performance and redundancy.
      You mean physical DC = running on the Hyper-V Host? I never thought about this (redundancy), thanks.

Any comments on my planned server configuration?

Comment

I'd personally want at least one DC to be a dedicated DC - after all Active Directory is vital to your business.
        Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Microsoft best recommends that you do not install your primary DC as a virtual machine.

Backup DC is fine.

Jordan
          Jordan

IT Pro Evangelist
          (MICROSOFT-NORTEL-CISCO-ZYXEL)

Comment

In the days since NT, we don't have primary and backup DCs anymore

What I suspect you mean by "primary" is the server holding the FSMO roles? Keep in mind though that in many setups, administrators split the roles accross multiple DCs. It's recommended to run FSMO roles on physical servers, but if you want to split them and only have one physical DC then carefully pick which roles stay on there, and which are hosted on VMs.
            Gareth Howells

Comment

Oops my bad for wording that so incorrectly
              Jordan

IT Pro Evangelist
              (MICROSOFT-NORTEL-CISCO-ZYXEL)

Comment

Working...
              X