MS Hyper V 101

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MS Hyper V 101

I'm still experimenting with various bare-metal Hyper-V OS's ... I tried ESXi which is excellent but lacks templating, I also tried XenServer which looked good but I was unable to configure the ISO storage repository to a local store and get past the physical size limit it appeared to have.

So now I am trying MS Hyperviser.

As far as I can tell MSHV is a version of Xen installed on top of a restricted Windows 2008 core ... I'm sure someone will tell me if that's right or wrong

Anyway, looking here, it appears that MSHV doesn't support much in the way of Linux which kinda invalidates one of the uses I planned for virtualisation (learning about MS stuff but also Linux stuff, not only SuSE). I installed it last night but now I'm a bit baffled as to what to do next ... it there a good getting started guide?

Kyu
    J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
    The Abyssal Void War: Stars, Hide Your Fires

Re: MS Hyper V 101

Support for Linux is likely to improve in the near future.

Originally posted by Kyuuketsuki View Post
    it there a good getting started guide?
    Yeah, a couple... http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=hyp...etting+started
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

There's some rudimentary videos over at the TechNet How Do I? video repository. The TechNet Library has a Hyper-V getting started guide which is a subset of the larger Hyper-V documentation. Although I can't vouch for it's palatability... and judging by Microsoft's track record for palatability I'd imaging eating sawdust would more appetizing.
      Wesley David
      LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
      -------------------------------
      Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
      Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
      Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
      Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

What are you trying to do? I'm running Ubuntu 9.04 Server on Hyper-V, and have done so for around a year. This weekend I'll move it across to Hyper-V on 2008 R2.

It runs very well, once you remoe the NIC and add a legacy NIC.

Post what you're trying to achieve and I'll see if I can help.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by jimwillsher View Post
          What are you trying to do? I'm running Ubuntu 9.04 Server on Hyper-V, and have done so for around a year. This weekend I'll move it across to Hyper-V on 2008 R2. It runs very well, once you remoe the NIC and add a legacy NIC. Post what you're trying to achieve and I'll see if I can help.
          Thanks Jim,

My primary aim was always to virtualise my domain and then start to play around with concepts including Linux (even though I switched over to Linux for nearly 6 months, SuSE 7 about 7 years ago, my problem with it tends to be an, "Ooh! That's pretty! Um! What do I do now?", kind of thing if you get what I mean?) and possibly Unix ... in essence it's a home server that I can play/dev/learn concepts on whilst still providing network "services" to my family's PC's.

I've changed the configuration slightly and have switched over to full Windows 2008 with Hyper-V installed and my current problem is one of configuration namely that of pointing the default VM storage location to my array drive because my array has 2TB storage whereas the boot drive has only 80Gb. Unfortunately the MS equivalent of ViClient is ... well ... a little sparse one might say (configuration tools seem a bit thin on the ground).

Kyu

Comment

I'm running Hyper-V in 2008 R2, and I have three VMs - XP (for various stuff) and two Ubuntu Server VMs.

The two Ubuntu Server VMs are my web and mailservers, running Postfix and Apache, PHP, MySQL etc. I'd rather have these webfacing than any Windows box

As for "default storage location", I'm not really sure why that matters. On my system the default is somewhere on the C: drive, but I just create a new VM on the D: drive where I have 2TB to play with (Raid 5). It seems to work very well.

The single, biggest annoying factor about HyperV and Ubuntu is that you have to use a Legacy NIC, which runs at 100Mb, whereas my LAN is gigabit. It's not a problem for webserving, but is a nuicance when I backup my data from the VM to the host as it comes across at 100 instead of 1000.

Jim

Comment

I'm running Hyper-V in 2008 R2, and I have three VMs - XP (for various stuff) and two Ubuntu Server VMs.
              So you're running full 200-8 with Hyper-V installed as a role? Mind if I ask what system spec you have ... I'd just like to get a feel for how many VM's I can run on mine.

The two Ubuntu Server VMs are my web and mailservers, running Postfix and Apache, PHP, MySQL etc. I'd rather have these webfacing than any Windows box
              My current plan is to make the physical server a domain controller (haven't decided whether to stay with the same domain or create a new one ... I "own" an xxxxxx.org.uk domain, IOW I've paid a cheap domain hosting company to do it and currently use it for redirecting mail and web, so I could create a domain of the same name I suppose) and host a number of virtual machines on it including file & print, web/forum server and a net gaming host plus some XP and Linux clients when required.

As for "default storage location", I'm not really sure why that matters. On my system the default is somewhere on the C: drive, but I just create a new VM on the D: drive where I have 2TB to play with (Raid 5). It seems to work very well.
              I suppose but as part of the learning experience I'd like to know how to redirect such things ... I guess it's a corporate thing, if a corporate were dealing with hundreds of hypervisor's they'd want it to be straight forward, I'm a bit like that (sorry)! I'd also like to redirect the ISO store if possible (something I found near impossible under XenServer).

The single, biggest annoying factor about HyperV and Ubuntu is that you have to use a Legacy NIC, which runs at 100Mb, whereas my LAN is gigabit. It's not a problem for webserving, but is a nuicance when I backup my data from the VM to the host as it comes across at 100 instead of 1000.
              I heard somewhere (not sure where) that MS is planning to give greater *nix support so that might mean Gb NIC's.

Kyu
              Last edited by Kyuuketsuki; 28th August 2009, 09:57.

Comment

So you're running full 200-8 with Hyper-V installed as a role? Mind if I ask what system spec you have ... I'd just like to get a feel for how many VM's I can run on mine.
                Intel Q9450 quad-core with 8GB RAM. Corsair SSD for the OS and 4xSeagate discs in RAID5 array fro data and VMs.

so I could create a domain of the same name I suppose
                Remember that domain name on the server is 100% different to an internet domain name. I'm hosting ten websites on my VMs, yet my domain name is abc123.local.

I'd like to know how to redirect such things
                Just tick the "store in diffeent location" box when you create the VM

I'd also like to redirect the ISO store if possible
                There's no such thing. You can mount a physical drive or you can mount any ISO accessible to the VM, from any location.

Comment

It may be worth you evaluating Virtual Machine Manager as well.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/scvmm/bb679927.aspx

This enhances the features that can be used in a Hyper-V environment.

Comment

so I could create a domain of the same name I suppose
                    I would suggest you make life easier for yourself and not use a 'valid' TLD for your Ad domain.
                    Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual View Post
                      It may be worth you evaluating Virtual Machine Manager as well.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/scvmm/bb679927.aspx

This enhances the features that can be used in a Hyper-V environment.
                      988.8 MB - 3036.9 MB?????

You what?

Kyu

Comment

988.8 MB - 3036.9 MB?????
                        What are you referring to?
                        Gareth Howells

Comment

Gotta love the MSFT patented precision engine they use. "Windows 98, we'll have it ready by... sometime before Windows 2000"
                          Attached Files
                          Wesley David
                          LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
                          -------------------------------
                          Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
                          Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
                          Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
                          Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
                            I would suggest you make life easier for yourself and not use a 'valid' TLD for your Ad domain.
                            OK ... Thanks

Got my first client on the new domain yesterday (takes a long time because I'm busy debating people on the internet ... 'smy hobby)

Kyu

Comment

Sucks you in doesn't it

Gareth Howells

Comment

Working...
                              X