Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hyper-V host somehow messed with my VHDs and disk...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hyper-V host somehow messed with my VHDs and disk...

Something messed up one of my Hyper-V hosts. 3 days ago I came to the office, and one of my co-workers asked me what happened to a new VM I've just created a few days ago. He claimed that the VM was missing.

I checked, and I saw that indeed, the VM "went away" from the VM list on that server.

Not only that, but the actual files, the VHD, the VM settings, everything has somehow mysteriously vanished from the host's hard disk.

It cannot be that someone has deleted the VM from the list, because in that case, the actual files would have still been there.

As if not enough, in the folder on the disk where I store all the VMs, I suddenly saw copies of VMs that have long been deleted from that server, one as old as April 2009!!!

Connecting to 2 or 3 of the existing VMs, I saw that they all were somehow stuck in some sort of checkdisk operation. I reset them, and let the process finish. One of the VMs got a BSOD, another, a SQL server, couldn't start the SQL services.

Something has messed up with my files, and I can't think of who or what caused it. I can pretty much eliminate any human intervention, as in this case, no one has access to the system except to the actual VMs running on it.

Could it be due to some strange hard disk/controller error? Server is a no-name Intel 1U server with an Intel motherboard and 2 500GB SATA disks, and 12GB of memory.
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Re: Hyper-V host somehow messed with my VHDs and disk...

Looks like you are not the only one with this problem. http://blogs.msdn.com/robertvi/archi...e-applied.aspx

I know you will have Googled but did you see this post? Do you have any antivirus running on the Hyper-V Host?
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Re: Hyper-V host somehow messed with my VHDs and disk...

Thanks Biggles for the link. Yes, I've got the AV disabled for the Hyper-V-related files and folders.

It now seems that there was probably some sort of RAID controller or disk failure, which has somehow brought up an earlier image of the disk. I've never heard of such a thing before, but I'm stumped, and I have no other clue.
      Cheers,

Daniel Petri
      Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
      MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Working...
      X