Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legacy OS on Hyper V Server 2008 R2 RC

Server 2008 R2 RC

I am trying to install Legacy OS's on Hyper V and having difficulty. OS's such as Win95, Win 3.1 and MSDOS 6.22 for the most part come on floppy. I have Magic ISO and WinImage but I can't quite firgue out how to make this work.

Do I need to create a .vfd? If so, what is the max size of a vfd? If it's limited to 1.44, what do I do about multiple floppies (even MSDos 6.22 has three).

Any help would be appreciated as I am pretty lost. I have done this in VMWare but VMware supports physical floppies.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Legacy OS on Hyper V Server 2008 R2 RC

Originally posted by chakotay2 View Post
    Server 2008 R2 RC

I am trying to install Legacy OS's on Hyper V and having difficulty. OS's such as Win95, Win 3.1 and MSDOS 6.22 for the most part come on floppy. I have Magic ISO and WinImage but I can't quite firgue out how to make this work.

Do I need to create a .vfd? If so, what is the max size of a vfd? If it's limited to 1.44, what do I do about multiple floppies (even MSDos 6.22 has three).

Any help would be appreciated as I am pretty lost. I have done this in VMWare but VMware supports physical floppies.

Thanks in advance!
    From my understanding, none of those OS's are not supported.

Comment

Bummer, thanks for the response though.

Comment

Do you have a machine that has a floppy drive that you can use as a temporary VM host? If so, you could try to get the guest VM's installed there and then transfer them to your floppiless host.

In MagicIso, what if you copy the contents of all the floppies to a sigle folder, one for Win95, one for DOS, and another for Win 3.1 then have MagicISO create ISO's from the contents of the folders?

Comment

Just to clarify, this machine does have a physical floppy, it looks to me like Hyper-V doesn't recognize physical floppies however. ( I could be wrong )

And if I have Magic ISO transfer the files, I still need some way of booting off of the iso... I have ISO's of the OS already and just get missing operating system because they don't contain any boot os.

Comment

many CD burning apps lets you make bootable CDs which will put the floppy drive image inside the CD ISO file.

something like imgburn should do this nicely for you.

I made self booting Ghost DVDs to this.

Comment

Originally posted by chakotay2 View Post
              Just to clarify, this machine does have a physical floppy, it looks to me like Hyper-V doesn't recognize physical floppies however. ( I could be wrong )

And if I have Magic ISO transfer the files, I still need some way of booting off of the iso... I have ISO's of the OS already and just get missing operating system because they don't contain any boot os.
              Your right regarding the physical floppy disk drive. Virtual floppy disk images (.vfd) are supported for mounting to the VHD's virtual floppy disk virtual drive. Virtual Server 2005 R2 does I believe.

Comment

I doubt those OSes are supported within Hyper-V

Jordan
                Jordan

IT Pro Evangelist
                (MICROSOFT-NORTEL-CISCO-ZYXEL)

Comment

Working...
                X