Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what to do after Hyper-V bare metal install?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what to do after Hyper-V bare metal install?

hi all

1. i have installed hyper-v on bare metal.
    2. installation is completed and its successful.
    3. i have changed computer name and other necessary settings after installation.

now i know that as a next step, i`ll have to create another windows 2008 box or windows vista box and then access my hyper-v server from this newly created box.

but i dont know how to do that and how to create vms using this scenario.

can someone guide me to any article which explains how to access hyper-v bare metal from win2k8 or vista box and then how to create vms on hyper-v bare metal?

thanks.

Re: what to do after Hyper-V bare metal install?

Google seems to have plenty of ideas...
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Hi, outstream.
      I hope you saw the link gforce gave you in his post...
      Anyway, you can see here how to manage Hyper-V server from a Vista computer, and here how to create and manage VMs.
      I used these search strings in :
      - manage "hyper v server" +vista
      - "hyper-v server" +create +virtual +machine

HTH.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
      -

Comment

thanks sorinso

Comment

Hyper-V Server???? or Hyper-V on Server 2008?

Also, did you consider the Server Core option???

Comment

Originally posted by JHakimi View Post
            Hyper-V Server???? or Hyper-V on Server 2008?

Also, did you consider the Server Core option???
            Given the fact that the outstream reffers to the installation as "bare metal", I have all the reasons to believe he is talking about Windows Hyper-V Server 2008.
            And why should he (she?) consider Core version? He is already in a better position ...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
            -

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
              Given the fact that the outstream reffers to the installation as "bare metal", I have all the reasons to believe he is talking about Windows Hyper-V Server 2008.
              And why should he (she?) consider Core version? He is already in a better position ...
              Sorinso,

My understanding is the only reason to use Hyper-V server is if you already own a bunch of Server licenses or you just want to set up a test enviroment.

So with that said, why not build a test enviroment in Core???

When you go production, this is going to be the prefferred method if you actually need to license your servers. 1 2008 Ent license gets you Host + 4 Guests instead of the A'la carte pricing of using Hyper-V server and buying your licenses seperately.

Im only trying to get more details to assist a fellow member and possibly guide him with his next step since we only had basic information posted.

Anways, outstream, let us know how everythign goes.

-Justin

Comment

Sorinso,

-Justin

i thought this was over...its solved ..sorinso`s reply helped

Comment

If you are installing Hyper-V Server Core then yes, install Hyper-V Manager on Vista/2008 if you are running it from Server 2008 with Hyper-V installed then just manage it from the server via RDP with integration services installed on the guest operating systems. Hope this helps

Jordan
                  Jordan

IT Pro Evangelist
                  (MICROSOFT-NORTEL-CISCO-ZYXEL)

Comment

You can still purchase a Datacenter License (or Enterprise) and install it as many times as you want on the physical box (or 4 VM's with Enterprise). So you end up with Hyper-V Server License and then a Datacenter License on the same box. We will be doing something similar. We'll be able to put 12+ VM's on the box. Once we've installed the 4th VM the Datacenter License will have paid for itself. We've saved so much money on Microsoft Server licensing that we were able to spend more on the hardware which in turn will allow us to house more VM's on each server. That ROI report made me look REALLY good!

Sorinso,

My understanding is the only reason to use Hyper-V server is if you already own a bunch of Server licenses or you just want to set up a test enviroment.

So with that said, why not build a test enviroment in Core???

When you go production, this is going to be the prefferred method if you actually need to license your servers. 1 2008 Ent license gets you Host + 4 Guests instead of the A'la carte pricing of using Hyper-V server and buying your licenses seperately.

Im only trying to get more details to assist a fellow member and possibly guide him with his next step since we only had basic information posted.

-Justin
                    CCA: XenApp 5.0

Comment

Working...
                    X