Binding specific NICS to specific Hyper-V virtual switches

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Binding specific NICS to specific Hyper-V virtual switches

I currently have a Hyper-v Server on W2K8S which has 3 physical NICS (Nic A, B and C).
    I've created a child partition with ISA Server 2004 and have configured NICs B and C
    for this server, NIC B is configured for external connectivity to the Internet and NIC C for
    connectivity to the LAN.
    NIC A and C plug into the physical LAN switch.
    If I disconnect the cable from A then the parent will still be able to access the Internet
    because the A will attach to the Virtual Switch created within Hyper-V.

However I want to know how to create a seperate EXTERNAL Virtual Switch for NIC A, so that it does not
    BIND to the virtual Switch that NIC B and C use ?
    So in short, is it possible to have two or more EXTERNAL virtual switches and how does one specify
    which NIC each virtual Switch can attach too. Any detailed information would be appreciated.
    Last edited by humpty691; 27th July 2009, 23:15. Reason: making it obvious this is about numerous EXTERNAL Virtual switches

Re: Binding specific NICS to specific Hyper-V virtual switches

Originally posted by humpty691 View Post
    So in short, is it possible to have two or more virtual switches
    Maybe searching would have answered your question for you...

Originally posted by A Petri Article
    Hyper-V allows you to create additional virtual switches
    http://www.petri.co.il/configuring-v...th-hyper-v.htm
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Re: Binding specific NICS to specific Hyper-V virtual switches

My posting referred to seperate Virtual switches, thus unconnected Virtual Switches. The article you refer to suggests that they are all connected.
      The article also does not talk about how to create multiple virtual switches - eg. I may have three NICS on a server and several VMs and want to ensure for whatever reason that some VMs cannot talk to others via the Virtual Switch.

Comment

Working...
      X