Hyper-V Server 2008 remote configuration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hyper-V Server 2008 remote configuration

I am going to do my first install of Hyper-V Server 2008 on a test platform. I have a shortage of Vista SP1 computers to install the remote management console on. I have a Vista SP1 notebook that is a member of an SBS 2008 domain.

Can I disconnect this notebook from the network, log on locally, network it to the Hyper-V server and run the Hyper-V remote management console?

Thanks,
    Network Engineers do IT under the desk

Re: Hyper-V Server 2008 remote configuration

Have you considered adding the Hyper-V server to the same 2008 domain? I am not sure that using workgroup set-up will make the life easier for you...
    Anyway, I never tested the set-up you have, so cannot give you an exact answer. I suggest you take a look at John Howard's about Configure Hyper-V Remote Management in seconds.
    Let us know the outcome.
    Last edited by sorinso; 27th June 2009, 14:56.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

I have many customers with SBS 2003 and BES 4.1 (Blackberry server). You cannot install BES 5 on SBS 2008. I am trying to determine the least complex and least expensive way to provide a customer with SBS 2008 and a Blackberry server.

I can install SBS 2008 on one box and Windows Server 2008 Standard on a second box so that I can install BES on the second server.

Alternatively, I can install Hyper-V Server 2008 on one box and virtualize SBS 2008 and Windows Server 2008 Standard. This is what I am about to try.

If I used the Hyper-V role in Windows Server 2008, I am limited to one virtual server and I need two in this case.

To configure Hyper-V Server 2008 (set up virtual servers), you have to connect to it remotely with either a Vista SP1 or Server 2008 and use the Hyper-V Server 2008 Remote Management Console which you download and install on Vista. I am asking if my notebook which is already joined to a domain can be used in a stand-alone mode to configure my stand-alone Hyper-V Server 2008 box.

Thanks,

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
        Have you considered adding the Hyper-V server to the same 2008 domain? I am not sure that using workgroup set-up will make the life easier for you...
        Anyway, I never tested the set-up you have, so cannot give you an exact answer. I suggest you take a look at John Howard's about Configure Hyper-V Remote Management in seconds.
        Let us know the outcome.
        I saw John Howard's blog yesterday. Awsome content!

Comment

Working...
        X